Clay Flowers For Toppers ?

Decorating By amaniemom Updated 2 Jun 2013 , 4:00am by Evoir

amaniemom Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 7

Hi.  I was reading somewhere that people are using sculpey  ( sp?) non-toxic clay to make for cake toppers including flowers etc. instead of fondant or gumpaste?

I was wondering if anyone has used it ( especially for flowers) why you liked it or disliked it, and any thoughts or suggestions.

6 replies
maybenot Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 7

I prefer to use all edible decorations, but if you do use Sculpey/clay, even though it's non-toxic, IT CANNOT DIRECTLY TOUCH THE CAKE--so a barrier of some sort would need to be placed between the two.

amaniemom Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 7

Oh poop there goes that idea icon_surprised.gif.

Thanks for that info, back to the drawing board lol.

Sweet Granny Posted 30 May 2013 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 7

If you can make flowers using Sculpy, why wouldn't you want to make them using gum paste instead?  Stupid question but I was just wondering.  I have used the sculpy to practice flowers because it doesn't dry out like the gum paste but that's it.  Practice only.

amaniemom Posted 31 May 2013 , 12:52am
post #5 of 7

I make my own MMF and sometimes I have to deal with sticking, etc. , so u just thought this would be easier.

cakefat Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 3:54am
post #6 of 7

Is "Sculpy" the same as "CLAYCRAFT by DECO Soft Clay"? 

I saw online that this Claycraft has flowers being sold to place on wedding cakes but I didn't see where it says you can't put it directly on the cake.  Also I wonder if these materials/clays are similar to cold porcelain? I know that is not suppose to go on a cake- or touch it at least.

I think the reasoning behind using these materials is that they do not break as easily as gum paste?

Evoir Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 4:00am
post #7 of 7

AYes, have used it for non-edible cake toppers, and yes I agree do not let them touch the cake directly!

Sculpey is a polymer clay that you bake to set, it does not dry out when your working with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%