Lemon Cake Recipe

Decorating By icer101 Updated 27 Oct 2013 , 6:18am by cecescakecreations

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 May 2013 , 2:34am
post #1 of 9

what is the best lemon cake recipe . I have tried Ina Garten, several more on this site and over the internet. I need to use it in a 9X13 x2 cake pan. I can,t get any of them to rise. Got new b/p, b/s , etc. still wont make a nice cake. tia  if possible i would like from scratch.

8 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:10am
post #2 of 9

I use this recipe and so far no issues with it and I get rave reviews.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/nathans-lemon-cake-10000001734321/

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:14am
post #3 of 9

Did you try the Ina Garten Lemon Yogurt Cake?  That cake is very good, but more of a cross between a "regular" cake and a pound cake.  I bake that a lot, but have never frosted it - just iced with lemon juice and powdered sugar.

Have you tried FromScratchSF's vanilla cake with the lemon zest and lemon oil addition?  I love her basic cake, have made it a number of ways and it is always delish.

Liz

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/a/brendas-scratch-lemon-cake This one is really good. Or I make a vanilla cake and use a lemon curd filling. Absolutely divine! 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 30 May 2013 , 3:19am
post #5 of 9

Lemon cake has been my biggest challenge!  I have tried so many recipes, and just couldn't fine one that was right. Too dry, too dense,  not enough flavor, had big holes in it.....    I thought I had come up with one- it tasted great, but was too delicate and fell apart easily.   This weekend I tried Warren Brown's light and lemony cake from his book Cake Love, and it is really good!  Warning - it is labor intensive, but it is so worth it.  It is moist, and has the freshest most lemony flavor.  I had a taste teste with my old favorite, and the family was unanimous in favor of the Cake Love Recipe, by a long shot.  I have one in the oven right now (my 3rd in the past 2 days) and am playing around with it a bit. (I enjoy playing around with recipes - just want to see if it an be simplified a bit).   I made a double recipe for a large pan yesterday, and it worked perfectly.  It is level when baked,  (I use heat core nails and bake even wraps) and cuts and serves nicely. I  will be using it in a 5 tier cake coming up in 2 weeks.     

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 May 2013 , 4:33am
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone.Yortma,  i do have warrens book. will try that one.bct806,  I was gonna try brendas next. I had printed that one,Liz at sugar , will try that one also. And Melanie -1221 , will try this one. This is a special cake for my darling grandson graduation. It has to be special. Thanks again everyone for your time.

gurvy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gurvy01 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 7:47am
post #7 of 9

ADebbie browns lemon cake recipe is absolutely amazing! The actual cake is delicious and moist but decorating wise, it doesnt crumb easily and caused me absolutely no problems. Got lots of compliments on the taste! If you cant find the recipe, let me know and ill write it out for you :)

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 12:05pm
post #8 of 9

I am so glad you posted this question. Lemon cake with coconut frosting is divine...when someone else makes it. I have not found a recipe I like either.

cecescakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecescakecreations Posted 27 Oct 2013 , 6:18am
post #9 of 9

AHi. I realize this is an old thread but is there any way that you could post the recipe that you have Yortma?? It sounds wonderful and I'm pretty disparate for a lemon recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%