Free Online Website/ Blog

Business By Piece of Cake Updated 29 May 2013 , 3:48am by jason_kraft

Piece of Cake Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 17

Hey all! I am very new to the cake buisness (as in only three cakes deep!) So I am interested in a blog/ free website to document my progress and somewhat build a following. Due to me being so new.. I don't want to invest in a payed website at this time.. if anyone knows of any great free websites/ blogs please let me know!! :)

16 replies
jason_kraft Posted 28 May 2013 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 17

AWordPress and Blogger are probably the best sites for building a blog to document your progress, I would recommend going that route for now. Facebook is another option.

Once you launch a legal business (with all the license fees, inspections, etc.) you can look into a paid web site, until you have everything legal make sure you do not advertise that you are selling cakes.

Piece of Cake Posted 28 May 2013 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 17

Thanks so much for your input.. i will definitely be giving this a try. 

Ginni Posted 28 May 2013 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 17

I've been doing cakes for a long time but have just started a blog as well using blogger (blog is actually old but I've just started using it again).  I like blogger a lot. 
 

If you start one, let me know.  I will put a link to you're blog on my blog.  We can cross promote and get more traffic that way.

jason_kraft Posted 28 May 2013 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 17

AIf you post a lot on CC it also helps to include your blog link in your signature.

KarenK55 Posted 28 May 2013 , 6:54pm
post #6 of 17

Not much of a blogger, but thank you for the offer.icon_smile.gif

Piece of Cake Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 17

AGreat suggestion! I have to figure out hiw to make a sugnature now lol

Piece of Cake Posted 28 May 2013 , 7:54pm
post #8 of 17

A

Original message sent by Ginni

I've been doing cakes for a long time but have just started a blog as well using blogger (blog is actually old but I've just started using it again).  I like blogger a lot. 

  If you start one, let me know.  I will put a link to you're blog on my blog.  We can cross promote and get more traffic that way.

That would be amazing! Im thinking of using wordpress.com, have you ever heard of it?

jason_kraft Posted 28 May 2013 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 17

AI use WordPress for my blog, it's pretty easy to use.

To create a signature on CC, click on your avatar or name, scroll down to the bottom of the screen, and click Edit Signature.

Ginni Posted 28 May 2013 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece of Cake 


That would be amazing! Im thinking of using wordpress.com, have you ever heard of it?

I haven't heard of it before.  I opened a blogger account a couple years ago.  I only did it for a few posts before getting pregnant with my son and quitting for a while.  Now that everything is settled down again, I have gotten back into it.  I really like it a lot even though I'm really just a beginner.  I'm hoping to think of better content and really get involved with it.

 

mine is www.virginiassweets.blogspot.com

Piece of Cake Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:53am
post #11 of 17

I just added a section to my blog for "shoutouts" you're included it in! Feel free to check it out and mention me in your blog :)

Stitches Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:55am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I use WordPress for my blog, it's pretty easy to use.

 

This is one instance where you can't believe Jason! Cause what's easy for him isn't for the average person. I've had a HORRIBLE, let me repeat that HORRIBLE time working with WordPress. It is not user friendly, not easy at all. In fact the programmer I hired struggled with it and preferred to write all of his code instead of using what's offered at WordPress.

 

I spent at least 6 months working on my site there and I finally gave up. There's a very GIANT learning curve with WordPress!!!!!!!!!!!!. It requires the ability to add your own code regularly. There are soooo many add-ons it's very hard to know which ones to use/trust and which ones are out dated or never will function properly. I would never recommend a non-professional programmer try to do their own site on WordPress, it's for people who are really super smart computer geeks.

 

Right now I'm working with SquareSpace and it's so much easier then WordPress, there is no comparison. The templates and photo galleries are super easy to use and really nice looking.

jason_kraft Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:59am
post #13 of 17

A

Original message sent by Stitches

This is one instance where you can't believe Jason! Cause what's easy for him isn't for the average person. I've had a HORRIBLE, let me repeat that HORRIBLE time working with WordPress. It is not user friendly, not easy at all. In fact the programmer I hired struggled with it and preferred to write all of his code instead of using what's offered at WordPress.

The reason you had so much trouble is because you were trying to create a regular web site with WordPress. WP is a tool to create blogs, which it does very well, but I definitely don't recommend using WP if you are looking for a more traditional site that is focused on displaying and selling products for a business.

Note that there are actually two different WP sites: Wordpress.com (which is what I used) is a hosted site where you can get a blog up and running right away with minimal effort. Wordpress.org is software you can download and install on your own host to create a blog or web site you control (and have to configure). From what I've seen, Wordpress.org is very flexible but it can be pretty complicated. If I was making my own site I would also prefer writing code from scratch as opposed to using Wordpress.org, but if you have no experience with writing code the Wordpress.org learning curve might be worth it.

Ginni Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:08am
post #14 of 17

I got your message.  I added your blog under my favorite links on my page.  Thanks for adding me.
 

Stitches Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:39am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 


The reason you had so much trouble is because you were trying to create a regular web site with WordPress. WP is a tool to create blogs, which it does very well, but I definitely don't recommend using WP if you are looking for a more traditional site that is focused on displaying and selling products for a business.

Note that there are actually two different WP sites: Wordpress.com (which is what I used) is a hosted site where you can get a blog up and running right away with minimal effort. Wordpress.org is software you can download and install on your own host to create a blog or web site you control (and have to configure). From what I've seen, Wordpress.org is very flexible but it can be pretty complicated. If I was making my own site I would also prefer writing code from scratch as opposed to using Wordpress.org, but if you have no experience with writing code the Wordpress.org learning curve might be worth it.

I was using WordPress .org.

 

If a web designer/code writer had a hard time getting WordPress to co-operate with the code he entered..........I can't imagine a lay person would have a easier time changing code with-in WP. You've got to be one heck of a computer geek to conquer the learning curve at WP.org.

sixinarow Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:46am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece of Cake 

Hey all! I am very new to the cake buisness (as in only three cakes deep!) So I am interested in a blog/ free website to document my progress and somewhat build a following. Due to me being so new.. I don't want to invest in a payed website at this time.. if anyone knows of any great free websites/ blogs please let me know!! :)

I have a blog on wordpress. I thought it was pretty basic to set up and I like that it's easy to navigate from the dashboard page. :)

jason_kraft Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:47am
post #17 of 17

A

Original message sent by Stitches

If a web designer/code writer had a hard time getting WordPress to co-operate with the code he entered..........I can't imagine a lay person would have a easier time changing code with-in WP. You've got to be one heck of a computer geek to conquer the learning curve at WP.org.

That's not unusual at all, nor is it specific to WP.org. Any tool that tries to "help" by automatically generating code based on an abstracted interface will not play well with code written from scratch. If you use a tool like WP.org you will have a much easier time if you stay within the WP ecosystem. To emphasize, WP.com does not have these issues because it is 100% hosted.

For example: try opening Microsoft Word, typing "hi", and saving the file as a web page. The resulting HTML code is 18,976 characters and is a mess of unnecessary and redundant XML tags.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%