Refrigerated Buttercream - Tastes Like Ice Cream

Baking By chmawy Updated 2 Jun 2013 , 1:13am by chmawy

chmawy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chmawy Posted 27 May 2013 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 11

AI was at a bakery recently that sells a refrigerated cupcake with buttercream frosting that tastes like vanilla ice cream. My niece had issues with milk products so I asked the owner what was in the frosting and cupcake. She said the vanilla cupcake (my niece's favorite) has buttermilk in it and the frosting had milk and butter.

The frosting almost tastes like it has a hint of cream cheese in it. It's really good cold but once it gets less than cold it doesn't taste as good and if it is left out it will sort of deflate and parts will just melt down the side.

A traditional buttercream would taste good no matter if it was hot or cold right?

Anyone got any ideas? I'd like to recreate the recipe because I like to figure things out and then make a frosting that can be in room temperature but taste like ice cream.

10 replies
jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 11

This is the recipe I use for SMBC and I really think it tastes like vanilla ice cream! 

250g egg whites

454g white sugar

250g unsalted butter

200g salted butter

1 tbsp vanilla extract

chmawy Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:35pm
post #3 of 11

AHi!! Unsalted and salted butter? I just wanted to be sure. :)

Does the vanilla used make a difference?

jennicake Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 11

I use both unsalted and salted butter, but that may or may not be necessary.  I know most people use just unsalted butter but I feel there is no flavor there.  I used to use all salted butter but heard that tastes like eating a stick of butter.  I feel like a combination of the two is the best of both worlds :)

I think as long as you are using a good quality vanilla (the taste will be really pronounced in SMBC) you should be ok.  Make sure its pure extract though, and not artificial.  

chmawy Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 11

AI originally wondered if using heavy cream helped it taste like ice cream.

I've read that some people use vanilla paste. Yum. :)

jennicake Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:50pm
post #6 of 11

I've heard that a lot too and really really want to try vanilla paste!  I love seeing little flecks of vanilla bean in cakes and frosting :)

If the frosting you had from the bakery started melting at room temperature and deflating, there is a good chance that some whipped heavy cream is in there.  I'm not sure how you would keep something like that stable at room temperature if that's what you are hoping to do, but hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable people on this site can answer that for ya!

chmawy Posted 27 May 2013 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 11

AHi!! You know how it is .. Try something good and know they won't give out the recipe so it drives you nuts. You want to figure out what is in it. :)

I'd like to know what's in it to satisfy a curiosity but then reproduce it to be more stable. A refrigerated setting isn't feasible often. You know? Can't always keep them refrigerated.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 May 2013 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 11

I use the meringue buttercreams, but think the texture is awful refrigerated - I don't think that would have been it.  I agree with some variation of an icing with whipped cream as an ingredient.

Liz

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 May 2013 , 12:02am
post #9 of 11

http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/detail/Ermine-Frosting-(Butter-Roux-or-Boiled-milk-Frosting)/13589/

This recipe tastes like vanilla ice cream. It's my favorite for personal use. I really like SMBC but I don't think it tastes at all like ice cream.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 May 2013 , 12:34am
post #10 of 11

AAny recipe with solid fat is going to have a firm or hard texture when refrigerated. There's a good chance it was made with a high proportion of heavy whipping cream, which may have deflated after being out of the fridge.

chmawy Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 1:13am
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys!  I was watching a video yesterday and the woman uses popcorn salt in her buttercream recipes.  She says it is so small that it goes undetected and cuts down the sweetness of the frosting.  Thought I'd share!

Can't wait to try the recipe, thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%