I'm New And Need A Little Help/advice....please?

Decorating By DresCakes5 Updated 1 Jun 2013 , 6:23am by scrumdiddlycakes

DresCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DresCakes5 Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:28am
post #1 of 6

AI stopped managing a medical office to become a decorator...huge change right? I started at a bakery in Sept of last year and had to move up. Well... I made it. My problem is that I have had to train myself due to staffing issues. Is there any normal book out there that would be helpful in piping pictures on a cake? Animals, cars, people? [SIZE=4][/SIZE]

5 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:34am
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure about books for that sort of thing, but I would suggest googleing 'buttercream transfer'.

It's a good way to get a neatly piped buttercream picture onto a cake.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 28 May 2013 , 12:05am
post #3 of 6

I think searching the web is also your best bet .... and searching right here on cake central.  Look through the galleries and pm people who have done something you would like to learn.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 May 2013 , 12:20am
post #4 of 6

AThe weinbecklers have a very good book in piping figures & animals. It's a bit old, but still very relevant.

DresCakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DresCakes5 Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 6:05am
post #5 of 6

AThank you so much! I guess tomorrow we will see because I have 14 cakes to do...4 with animals. Talk about trial by fire. How mean age ppl if they don't like your drawing?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 6:23am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DresCakes5 

Thank you so much! I guess tomorrow we will see because I have 14 cakes to do...4 with animals. Talk about trial by fire. How mean age ppl if they don't like your drawing?

(I'm assuming you meant 'are' :P)

It really depends on what they expect. If you promise them a realistic picture and it comes out sloppy or cartoonish, they could get pretty grumpy. Also depends what they are paying.

If you aren't experienced with piping, I would suggest doing a buttercream transfer, you can search it on here or google. Really easy, and they come out nice and neat. You can do them all ahead of time as well, and just pop them onto the cakes as needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%