What's A Really Flexible Diy Silicone For Molds

Decorating By arlenej Updated 31 May 2013 , 2:33am by smittyditty

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 27 May 2013 , 12:01am
post #1 of 7

Hi CCers

Here's a question for you people who make silicone molds. Which silicone putty is used to get those soft flexible easily un-moldable  molds? Like the blue ones? Like the baby mold?

I was in the process of ordering a mold from Esty but got a rush order and had to go make a mold using some silicone I had on hand. The mold was made but it's not really pliable . So which silicone should I have used?

6 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 May 2013 , 1:11am
post #2 of 7

I just happen to be making molds at this very moment (and over the past week or so) for an emerald city Wizard of Oz cake topper.  I ordered the material from Make Your Own Mold.  It is working so well!  It comes as 2 parts and you knead together the amount required. .  It is nice because there as about a 15 minute window to play with it before it starts to set up.  After about 90 minutes it is set and can be unmolded.  It stays flexible, and it is blue.  It is pricey, but boy does it work well.  I am sure I will think of many ways to use it from now on.

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:28am
post #3 of 7

I agree, I also bought the two part blue silicone from Make your own Molds.  It is so detailed that it picked up all the loose bits of thread on my cheap bit of lace so when I very easily turned my fondant lace out I had the look of cheap, crappy lace.  Good learning experience, I told myself. Not quite what I wanted on my cake.  It's for sale if anyone wants to buy it, HA HA HA.

arlenej Posted 28 May 2013 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza1 

I agree, I also bought the two part blue silicone from Make your own Molds.  It is so detailed that it picked up all the loose bits of thread on my cheap bit of lace so when I very easily turned my fondant lace out I had the look of cheap, crappy lace.  Good learning experience, I told myself. Not quite what I wanted on my cake.  It's for sale if anyone wants to buy it, HA HA HA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I just happen to be making molds at this very moment (and over the past week or so) for an emerald city Wizard of Oz cake topper.  I ordered the material from Make Your Own Mold.  It is working so well!  It comes as 2 parts and you knead together the amount required. .  It is nice because there as about a 15 minute window to play with it before it starts to set up.  After about 90 minutes it is set and can be unmolded.  It stays flexible, and it is blue.  It is pricey, but boy does it work well.  I am sure I will think of many ways to use it from now on.

http://www.makeyourownmolds.com/

Thanks for replying you guys.

I'm on the site now. Did you order the kit or just the plastique? I'm wondering why I'd need the clay if I'm basically only going to use the plastique?

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 28 May 2013 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7

I didn't order a kit, just the separate parts.  You use the clay if you are moulding something super thin like lace.  Have a look at their quick free  tutorial videos, they are really good and explain everything.

arlenej Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 7

Ah! I see! Okay, the kit it is, then

.I probably won't need the clay anytime soon but like my bff says: 'Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it'

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 31 May 2013 , 2:33am
post #7 of 7

yes I second MakeYourOwnMolds

In my gallery I used them to do molds for my dr.pepper bottles. Super easy to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%