Cake Tasted Horrible! Why Could This Be!

Decorating By SugarShannon Updated 14 Jun 2013 , 10:09am by SystemMod2

SugarShannon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 33

AToday I attempted my first ever cake, I have previously made some lovely cupcakes, so I thought I would branch out a little and try a 2 tier Victoria sponge cake for my birthday tomorrow! I used this recipe, 4oz Caster Sugar, 4oz Butter, 4oz Self raising flour, 3 eggs, splash of mill and 1/2 teaspoon of Baking Soda.. I put the butter & the sugar in my mixer, until light and fluffy, then I added flour and eggs a little at a time.. when it came out of the oven it was a horrible dark brown colour - it wasn't burnt however, it tasted really disgusting, all had to go in the bin, yet I don't have a clue what caused the foul taste :-( can anyone advise me how to get that light fluffy sponge? Thank you in advance!! :-) [B][/B]

32 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 33

AHi, maybe it was the baking soda? I've never made a victoria sponge with that in the recipe, I have one that is really nice and easy will have a look around for it and get back to you.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 33

Baking soda makes cake light BUT it also gives a bitter taste. Thats why it's usually used in cakes with strong flavors e.g chocolate. Use baking powder next try.

What's 'splash of mill'? Did you mean 'milk'?

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 33

AThank you - I used it to make it rise a little more - I didn't want it to be flat but I don't have a clue how to make a great tasting cake, it seems cupcakes I do are perfect but cakes, this was like, hideous, I nearly puked after tasting it, I'm just so glad that I didn't ice it or else that would of been a real waste:( boo hoo, sad baker!!

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 33

AYeah Mill, my tablets a pain for typing.. it hardly even rose though, I need it to be light and soft, mine was crusty round the edges! It was a complete mess:(

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 33

AMilk* jeez! Hate this peice of tech!

cakealicious7 Posted 26 May 2013 , 4:36pm
post #7 of 33

AUnfortunately I can't find my recipe so I googled one for you.It has a 5 star rating and has great review's :

200g caster sugar 200g softened butter 4 medium eggs, beaten 200g self raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 2 tbsp milk

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions which is a possible copyright violation.

Fill with your favourite fillings!! And don't despair- you learn with every mistake and you just got to keep trying until you find the recipe which suits you best. Hope that helps and let us know how you get on : ))

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 May 2013 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 33

I think it was the self rising flour - I have a bag I bought for a recipe, and I thought it resulted in a terrible tasting cake.

I would suggest finding a recipe using cake flour, and adding your leavening separately.

Liz

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 4:46pm
post #9 of 33

AThank you very much! I'll definitely try that - its hard because I felt like giving up! People who bake fancy cakes always seem to have huge cakes underneath the fondant, I don't have a clue how to achieve that, I'm presuming its a few cakes piled on top of eachother to make huge cake tiers! ... there's so much to learn...

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 26 May 2013 , 7:29pm
post #10 of 33

A

Original message sent by SugarShannon

Thank you very much! I'll definitely try that - its hard because I felt like giving up! People who bake fancy cakes always seem to have huge cakes underneath the fondant, I don't have a clue how to achieve that, I'm presuming its a few cakes piled on top of eachother to make huge cake tiers! ... there's so much to learn...

Don't give up Hun! When it comes to baking and cake decorating, there are several times when one wants to just give up. Never give up your passion or dream..never. It took me about 7 years to come to all the knowledge that I know now and I still hit a few road bumps here and there..(a nice dose of frosting takes away the moments sorrows though..lol) if you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I know the answer(u can personal message me if you like) Yes your right! Those cakes that aretall like that are stacked and filled:)

lesucreaufour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesucreaufour Posted 26 May 2013 , 8:15pm
post #11 of 33

Do you bake your cakes in a 2'' pan? This won't make any difference on the taste, but it will help with the crusty sides. 

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 33

ATo be completely honest I don't have a clue what inch in I used, thats how much of a newbie I am! I just bought 2 round cake time, a bigger one and a smaller one, I attempted it on a whim for my birthday tomorrow, it didn't work out so I'll just do more research:-) I also got a new mixer, I'm having mixed opinions on it though, I think it'd be great for frosting but, I don't think its that good for the cake mix, it felt sticky.. like it didn't have any air in, I like the old fashioned hand held whisks, the electric ones, I'll give the mixer a few more chances but, I'm not totally convinced!!

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 33

A

Original message sent by Baking Queen

Don't give up Hun! When it comes to baking and cake decorating, there are several times when one wants to just give up. Never give up your passion or dream..never. It took me about 7 years to come to all the knowledge that I know now and I still hit a few road bumps here and there..(a nice dose of frosting takes away the moments sorrows though..lol) if you have any questions I'd be glad to help if I know the answer(u can personal message me if you like) Yes your right! Those cakes that aretall like that are stacked and filled:)

Thank you ! :3 I'm loving exploring new ways to decorate, I love cupcakes though, really do love them! I've been buying all of my things off EBay - the one thing I need now is Cupcake boxes, the white ones with the cut out holes to sit the cupcakes in, they're pretty expensive though - my fave part is all the decorating. It amazes how much you can make with icing! I've got some tylo powder but, I'm unsure how to use that properly.. I love decorating though, might stick to cupcakes at the moment - cakes have brought me right out my comfort zone!!

cakealicious7 Posted 26 May 2013 , 9:11pm
post #14 of 33

AOh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow!!!

SugarShannon Posted 26 May 2013 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 33

A

Original message sent by cakealicious7

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY for tomorrow!!!

THANKYOU! ohh I'm coming out my teens - 20 tomorrow, into the world of adult hood haha!! :(

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:02pm
post #16 of 33

If you use s/r flour, there really isn't any need to use baking powder.  Even better than normal s/r, use McDougalls Supreme Sponge Flour.

Did you add any vanilla to your sponge? 

Happy birthday for tomorrow x

Suzanne x

cakealicious7 Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:24pm
post #17 of 33

AAwwww I remember those days!! I'm 27 now and trust me it doesn't get any better lol!!

cakealicious7 Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 33

AOh and @ relznik thankyou for that tip I will also be trying out the supreme sponge flour.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:48pm
post #19 of 33

ANews flash. You use baking soda when there is an acidic ingredient to neutralize it. Baking soda is used in chocolate cakes not because they have "strong" flavors but because it is used to neutralize acidic natural cocoa releasing CO2 in the process hence a rise. Chocolate cakes with dutch process cocoa which is neutral do not need baking soda. Most of those recipes use baking powder instead. There was nothing in your original recipe to neutralize the baking soda. If you're going to tweak a scratch recipe you need to get your science right.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 26 May 2013 , 10:57pm
post #20 of 33

Firstly Happy Birthday , I hope you have a lovely day tomorrow. I got chickenpox for my 20th so I hope yours is way better than mine was. 

The rising in a sponge comes from beating the eggs and sugar together not from using self raising flour or baking powder.  You beat them until they are light , fluffy and pale and will fall like a wavy ribbon from the beater . Sponges usually have plain flour or a combo of plain , cornflour and arrowroot. I always triple sift my flours together and then fold very carefully by hand in three batches , into the beaten egg mix being careful not to knock the air out of the mixture that you have spent all that time putting in there. Some sponges have a little melted butter usually no more than a tablespoon folded in with the last lot of flour. 

Google Genoise sponge as well . 

I hope this gives you a little heads up to what went wrong. 

Relznik Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:27am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakealicious7 

Awwww I remember those days!! I'm 27 now and trust me it doesn't get any better lol!!

27?  Pah!  Oh how I long for 27....

I'm thirty-twelve! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Relznik Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:29am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

News flash. You use baking soda when there is an acidic ingredient to neutralize it. Baking soda is used in chocolate cakes not because they have "strong" flavors but because it is used to neutralize acidic natural cocoa releasing CO2 in the process hence a rise. Chocolate cakes with dutch process cocoa which is neutral do not need baking soda. Most of those recipes use baking powder instead. There was nothing in your original recipe to neutralize the baking soda. If you're going to tweak a scratch recipe you need to get your science right.

In the UK, we have baking powder which is a rising agent which doesn't need anything acidic to activate it...

...  or bicarbonate of soda which is what you call baking soda, which does need something acidic!

Its the bicarb that's bitter!  I can usually taste it in a cake a mile off!!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:34am
post #23 of 33

Happy Birthday.

Sorry to disagree guys but I am 52 and I think that life gets better every year.  I wouldn't be young again for anything.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:49am
post #24 of 33

It's probably because you used baking soda and self raising. I use self raising for vanilla/lemon cakes, just don't add any other raising agents and it should be fine.

cakealicious7 Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:51am
post #25 of 33

AWell they do say life begins at 40!!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 27 May 2013 , 12:24pm
post #26 of 33

While we are talking cake chemistry, the ingredients in baking powder are baking soda + cream of tartar (which is the acidic agent).  They can be either single or double acting, but the chemical reaction starts as soon as you mix it in the batter (same as with baking soda).

I also use baker's ammonia (ammonium carbonate) in one of my cookie recipes (Springerle).  It is only activated by heat, not by moisture.  You can get it online or at a compounding pharmacy.  You should only use it in thin items (like cookies) so that it can be fully released during cooking.

Liz

SugarShannon Posted 27 May 2013 , 6:42pm
post #27 of 33

AThanks guys, I ended up having a cake from the supermarket, tasted nice with a little cream but, would have preferred to of baked my own, something I could of been proud of! I'm having a good birthday though! :) x

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:16pm
post #28 of 33

A[CODE][/CODE]. I don't understand why you didn't just use the same batter you use in your cupcakes for your cake?

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 May 2013 , 1:09am
post #29 of 33

A

Original message sent by cazza1

Happy Birthday. Sorry to disagree guys but I am 52 and I think that life gets better every year.  I wouldn't be young again for anything.

I am just 33 1/2 and couldn't agree more! I wouldn't be young again even for all the perkiness that used to be there.... I was such a stupid fool, but miles above all the other stupid fools the same age, lol.

jessica pierre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica pierre Posted 14 Jun 2013 , 7:49am
post #30 of 33

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%