Baby 'butt' Cake?!

Decorating By Baking Queen Updated 28 May 2013 , 3:59pm by Godot

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 13

AHi everyone! So I have this client who ordered a baby shower cake, but wants it to be a baby but cake.. This idea seems to be quite popular as it's all over google, but personally..I don't quite like how it looks lol..but that's just my opinion;) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would know how long I can do the fondant baby feet and butt ahead of time? Would you say a five days would be too long? The baby butt and feet are going ontop of a rectangular cake,but I am wondering how to tackle the butt(no pun intended!) I think it's made out of ricecrispy treats and covered in fondant but if anyone else would have a better idea, I'm all ears! Also, would it be tricky to do the feet?? Would they be out of fondant or modeling chocolate?? Thanks everyone!!

12 replies
cakebaker21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker21 Posted 26 May 2013 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 13

AI have done this cake a couple of times and i used one half of the sports ball pan for thw butt

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 13

AGah, I absolutely HATE those baby butt cakes. I think it looks like someone stuffed an infant headfirst down in the cake.

That said - we do a couple of these every week and the decoration goes pretty quickly so that is a money maker.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 13

AI use a Pyrex bowl to bake the butt cake in. It only takes a few minutes to model the feet, so I don't see the point in doing them in advance.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 May 2013 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 13

I always do the legs/feet after I deco the butt. I need the butt on to make sure the legs are pressed up against the butt...then I do the feet. They only take minutes to do. I'm afaid if I did them ahead of time,..they wouldn't fit/match up.

FlashesOfTime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlashesOfTime Posted 28 May 2013 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 13

What do you model the legs and feet out of? Is there a tutorial?

Cricket1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricket1960 Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 13

I make the actual butt from cake, baked in a ball shaped pan. The legs and feet are RKT. Very simple cake to make and people love it. I can't tell you how many times I hear "awe look at that cute lil baby bootie". 

FlashesOfTime Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlashesOfTime Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 13

I've never worked with RKT before other than the actual bars...you make them, coat with icing, then fondant?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:50pm
post #9 of 13

I make mine out of fondant right after I put the butt on the cake.  I use fondant so I can get the bend and creases I want.  It's super fast & easy.   I roll 2 sausages of the length and thickness...cut one end at a 45 so it will go against the butt...bend slightly at the knee and make crease marks with a fondant tool...make the feet, make more creases then roll balls for the toes. 

Baking Queen Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 13

AThanks everyone for all your great replies!! I think I will just makethe feet out of modeling chocolate and the butt out of RKT. Yes if you where to use the RKT then you would have to cover in frosting then put fondant over it if you want it to be smoothlooking. Really?! Wow I didn't know that bakeries do these cakes weekly..I guess they are a party fav! Thanks so much again everybody!!:)

Baking Queen Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 13

AThanks everyone for all your great replies!! I think I will just makethe feet out of modeling chocolate and the butt out of RKT. Yes if you where to use the RKT then you would have to cover in frosting then put fondant over it if you want it to be smoothlooking. Really?! Wow I didn't know that bakeries do these cakes weekly..I guess they are a party fav! Thanks so much again everybody!!:)

Baking Queen Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:54pm
post #12 of 13

AOops didn't know why I replied several times sorry

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:59pm
post #13 of 13

AThe server must have LOVED your post:-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%