Friday Night Cake Club For 5/24/13

Decorating By catlharper Updated 28 May 2013 , 4:24am by sixinarow

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:02pm
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

Its been a busy week for me. Here are some of the things I worked on

Baking Me Crazy, where did you get the baking cups in the first cupcake picture? I love them!

Elcee Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:10pm
post #32 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

Elcee, what?!! A Scantron!! Brilliant! Oh I so want to do that cake now!

LOL! DeliciousDesserts, I didn't think anyone would know what that was! It should have been an ACT as the cake was a reward for the students who scored well on that BUT our kiddos where in the midst of As testing so Scantron was what available icon_smile.gif. I enlarged it on our copier to 11 x 17. It was a big hit.

BTW...thanks, everyone, for the nice words. I almost liked it better in the before picture. I had a lot of trouble with the tip.

Elcee Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:13pm
post #33 of 60
Quote:

Ok, finally added the label & like it more

It's fantastic, both before and after the label!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:20pm
post #34 of 60

Finished up an ice cream cone cake.. :) dang waffle cone pattern took entirely waaay to long. It's always the part that should be the easiest, right? 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:21pm
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

LOL! DeliciousDesserts, I didn't think anyone would know what that was! 

Great...now I've shown BOTH our ages!  Do they still have Scantron?
DeliciousDesserts Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:22pm
post #36 of 60

Sixinarow, the drop of melting ice cream is amazing!

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:32pm
post #37 of 60

Elcee, I got them at Michaels I think they were around $3 for 24..

Sixinarow.. that's awesome! Very talented

sixinarow Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:32pm
post #38 of 60
Quote:

Sixinarow, the drop of melting ice cream is amazing!

Aw, thanks. That and the cherry were my favorite parts. :)

I LOVE your shrimp and corn on the cob..the whole cake is amazing!

Elcee Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:38pm
post #39 of 60
Quote:

Great...now I've shown BOTH our ages!  Do they still have Scantron?

My district still uses them!

webby2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webby2013 Posted 25 May 2013 , 8:40pm
post #40 of 60

in the last couple of weeks ive worked on a few things ive only found the passion for baking in the last month or so they aint great but a start lol.

These where for my niece's 18th birthyday ( my first attempt of a main cake ) :)

These where for my bro and his girlfreinds mums birthdays. ( the white and pink are vanilla buttercream and the chocolate has a peppermint filling then dipped in chocolate )

These where for a little girls 3rd birthday.

and these my kids said to me if you think your gd make these and pesterd me for weeks to do them so this is how they turned out and let me tell ya my head grew abit after i did them pmsl.

so if i have posted to much dont know if i can shorten everything will look into t for next time thanx.

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 25 May 2013 , 11:51pm
post #41 of 60

I am Super late to the party this week!  I was up till 2 working on my first ever Fondant Frill and Stiletto shoe cake.  Posting pics after this post----

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Hi there everyone!

This week I have been working on pieces for two cakes coming up next week. I did make the cupcakes I spoke about last week with the pistachio creme I brought back from Sicily...they were amazing! I'm just sad that I don't have this stuff available all the time. Here's the photo:

Yellow cake cupcakes filled with Pistachio creme topped with soft butter cream and sprinkled with roasted salted pistachios.

I want to grab those out of the screen and eat them!  I bet they were amazing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Cat, they look sooo good! I hope to have some time this summer to experiment with some flavors. It's been a while since I've done that.

Here's a couple of pictures of the pencil cake that last week's FNCC inspired me to make.

And finished...

That turned out amazing!  I bet they loved it! I agree with the other posters that it looks equally cool uncovered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn 

Good evening all, 

Cat, those cupcakes look great.

Elcee love your pencil cake, and I agree with cat.  You could have left the pre-covered cake as is, IMO people would have loved it just the same.

I had 2 8" cakes to make for today, for a set of twins in my apt complex.  The cakes went to their class, tomorrow is their party, but the parents just want a flat 1/2 sheet.   Tomorrow is my granddaughters birthday celebration as well and on Monday my nieces.

My granddaughter will get an elephant cake, fashioned after a Heffalump (think that's what its called) but my niece is getting my first high heel fondant shoe.  I have to admit I am rather nervous about making her cake.  It will also have a purse cake to go with it.  Her favorite purse designer is Alexander Wang.  I made a purse before and it was not too hard.  I find myself procrastinating and I know its nerves.

If anybody has a good tutorial please share. 

Thank you.

AuntGinn I just did my first ever stiletto shoe cake and will post pics after this post.  If you have ANY questions feel free to message me!  =-) It really wasn't as hard as it looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

Its been a busy week for me. Here are some of the things I worked on

Soooo in love with the OWL!  A-freaking-dorable!!

Quote:

As labor intensive as those dang cookies are (never again) (much new respect for cookie people & mad piping skills), this weeks cake was more.

This is a lowcountry boil I made for a local catering company Charleston Bay Gourmet:

This really fooled me!  It looks like FOOD!!!  Great job!!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:17am
post #42 of 60

I was swamped this week! 

I started off with a Graduation cake in a pink and black zebra theme:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017397/a/3355280/bottom-tier-is-strawberry-cream-cake-with-chocolate-ganache-middle-tier-is-french-vanilla-with-white-chocolate-ganache-top-tier-is-double-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-ganache/

Did some fun Buttercream flower cupcakes.  They are my favorite thing to do!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017402/a/3355283/daffodils-roses-sunflowers-and-daisy-cupcake-creation/

Ended the week with my first time ever trying a Pink Ombre Ruffle Frill cake with a Stiletto Heel and Cupcakes!  It was more time intensive that I thought it would be but I loved doing it!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017405/a/3355284/cake-and-cupcakes-are-cookies-and-cream-cake-with-white-chocolate-ganache/

sixinarow Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:21am
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemommy2012 

I was swamped this week! 

I started off with a Graduation cake in a pink and black zebra theme:

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017397/a/3355280/bottom-tier-is-strawberry-cream-cake-with-chocolate-ganache-middle-tier-is-french-vanilla-with-white-chocolate-ganache-top-tier-is-double-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-ganache/

Did some fun Buttercream flower cupcakes.  They are my favorite thing to do!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017402/a/3355283/daffodils-roses-sunflowers-and-daisy-cupcake-creation/

Ended the week with my first time ever trying a Pink Ombre Ruffle Frill cake with a Stiletto Heel and Cupcakes!  It was more time intensive that I thought it would be but I loved doing it!

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3017405/a/3355284/cake-and-cupcakes-are-cookies-and-cream-cake-with-white-chocolate-ganache/

L.O.V.E. your ruffles and heels! :)

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:28am
post #44 of 60
Quote:

As labor intensive as those dang cookies are (never again) (much new respect for cookie people & mad piping skills), this weeks cake was more.

This is a lowcountry boil I made for a local catering company Charleston Bay Gourmet:

This is weird, by my favourite bits are those red potatoes! They look so real :)

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:35am
post #45 of 60

What wonderful cakes, and that pistachio looks awesome. I use to love pistachios so much, but I'm afraid to eat them now. I'm allergic to tree nuts, not all of them but sometimes when I eat other nuts I get a slight reaction so I'm forced to avoid everything. 

Delicious Desserts, amazing job as usual.  Reminds me of the shrimp boils we use to have when I lived in New Orleans. I cooked shrimp for dinner tonight, now I want to go back and get a second helping.

Sixinarow, I love your ice cream cone cake, it is really cute.

I on the other hand, mostly took the week off, after many many busy nights in May.  I did a wedding cake tasting this morning, and one dozen cupcakes for a bridal party yesterday. I needed this break so much. It was so refreshing to work on other projects the last few days. I finally with the help of my husband planted some flowers and shrubs in the front yard. Since this cake thing started lots of things get neglected. It was starting to look like our home was abandoned from the outside.  Ran into 2 small snakes that freaked me out, but the front is finished, and I'm going to work on my vegetable garden tomorrow if I don't have nightmares about snakes.  I really miss working in the garden, but some days after standing up on my feet all night decorating cakes, I just don't have the energy to work in the garden. 

I missed last week, because I was so swamped with 6 orders I worked right up to the delivery/pickup on each and every one--I nearly collapsed Sunday afternoon after the last one. I took on way too much, and I'll never do that again. I had my first cake catastrophe last week and had to give a refund, so boy did I learn my lesson. 

Did I say, I'm loving this mini vacation I carved out for myself!

Pics from last week. 

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:59am
post #46 of 60

CAKEMOMMY, as usual beautiful work.  thanks for the inspiration on the shoe.  I'm doing my first this week.

tdove, very very nice work.  Love the pirate ship.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:19am
post #47 of 60

Thanks so much for sharing everyone, they were all so beautiful and inspirational.

Always great to see such great cakes. thumbs_up.gif

DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:35am
post #48 of 60

AWebby, that's a lot if work on those cupcakes.

CakeMommy, goodness! You were busy. Really awesome cap on the graduation cake!

Thank you guys for the compliments. I really liked this none. The potatoes were my favorite too! My husband kept saying they weren't the right color. Oh yes they are! They are boiled not fresh out of the bag. Did learn a few things. Ill do the corn a bit different next time. I know kernels aren't round but couldn't think of anything else to use. Next time, a bead mold. I didn't have one.

I had the whole thing just about finished....the. I realized it wasn't right. I had just covered the whole thing in fondant. The stuff looked weird just tossed on too. I grabbed the exacto, cut the fondant, dug out the top layer of cake, made a little angle of frosting, added some more frosting for water, & airbrushed it with silver pearl. Whew. Looks so much better .

Next time, it'll be easier & ill know to charge more! $235 next time.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 May 2013 , 1:38am
post #49 of 60

AT dove, that's Jake! Awesome! I really like the clean look to those christening/first communion cakes.

I love the mini vacas. Isn't it crazy how some weekends are just packed?! Pick another weekend people!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 May 2013 , 7:36am
post #50 of 60

It was great to see so many responses and cakes this week.  Keep it up everyone, I love FNCC.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 26 May 2013 , 4:30pm
post #51 of 60

ADelicious cakes - wow I am so glad you posted price I had someone who wanted me to do a cleaning bucket with isomalt bubbles and I only quoted them $175 thankfully they declined, as it would be a lot more than that. Your cake turned out beautiful! Plus I'm sure you'll get tons more orders. Do you make the toppings potato/corn/ ect. Same day?

DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 May 2013 , 6:55pm
post #52 of 60

A

Original message sent by smittyditty

Do you make the toppings potato/corn/ ect. Same day?

This was for Saturday delivery. I baked Monday, crumb coated Tuesday, final coated wed, made the top stuff Thursday & Friday.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 May 2013 , 6:56pm
post #53 of 60

AIf I'd had advance notice, I would have made the top stuff a week in advance.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 26 May 2013 , 8:56pm
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Finished up an ice cream cone cake.. :) dang waffle cone pattern took entirely waaay to long. It's always the part that should be the easiest, right? 

This is simply yummy looking!  the drop of melted icecream is very cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

L.O.V.E. your ruffles and heels! :)

Thanks Sixinarow! It's my first time doing a heel shoe.  It took it almost 3 days for the shoe to harden enough to finish. The ruffles were not too hard -but you don't realize just how long it takes to cover that much cake ( it was just a 9" triple layer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdovewings 

Pics from last week. 

Your cakes have such clean lines!  I love the Cross!  Fabulous!! 

Quote:

CAKEMOMMY, as usual beautiful work.  thanks for the inspiration on the shoe.  I'm doing my first this week.

tdove, very very nice work.  Love the pirate ship.

Thanks Auntginn!  Seriously message me if you have questions--I'm no expert but I would love to help if you need it!  =-)

auntginn Posted 27 May 2013 , 8:51pm
post #55 of 60

Thanks Cakemommy, I was so caught up with this cake, I didn't see the message.  It's a shame because I could have used a bit of help.  I eventually figured it out.  Not perfect but I'm happy for my first one.

I see a tear in the frosting sheet, so gotta fix it.  What do ya'all think?

Six in a row, I love.... your cake.  Ice cream is my favorite dessert.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 May 2013 , 9:01pm
post #56 of 60

Sorry, Boyka, just saw this. I have found that if I put down a layer of butter cream and then the fruit and then cover that with another layer of butter cream it keeps the fruit from making the cake soggy. I'm sure it's too late for this cake but maybe it will help you for the next one!

Cat

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 May 2013 , 9:08pm
post #57 of 60

LOVE the whole thing..shoe, shoebox, bag, the whole thing! 

You guys really pulled out the stops this week! How much fun to come back here and find so many wonderful cakes like the ice cream and the pirate ship! Love all the girly stuff too from the shoes to the ruffles to the bows! SOOO much fun!

I get to work on piece work this week. Hibiscus flowers and surf boards. I'm going to be working with transfer paper..anyone have any tips? I have a love/hate relationship with this new sort of stuff...love challenging myself but hate the stress it brings.

Cat

Cakemommy2012 Posted 28 May 2013 , 2:01am
post #58 of 60
Quote:

Thanks Cakemommy, I was so caught up with this cake, I didn't see the message.  It's a shame because I could have used a bit of help.  I eventually figured it out.  Not perfect but I'm happy for my first one.

It looks GREAT!  Love the shoe box and sassy pink peep toe! We are rocking this Club--So much talent!

auntginn Posted 28 May 2013 , 3:35am
post #59 of 60

Thanks Cat & Cakemommy,  My niece went crazy over it.  Calmed my nerves.

Cat just how are you using the transfer paper?  Curious, Will you be painting on the cake?

sixinarow Posted 28 May 2013 , 4:24am
post #60 of 60
Quote:

Love. This. You ladies and your shoes..makes me want to take a trip to  Nordstrom's shoe department! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%