Fondant Tort Line

Decorating By Marielijah Updated 24 May 2013 , 10:08pm by maybenot

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 4

Please help...  As much as I try to avoid this, I don't know how to.  This line always appears after smoothing my fondant on my cakes.  I tried making the fondant thicker or thinner and both get the same results.  How can I add fondant on my cakes and have this torte line not show up.  I always fill my cakes so I always end up with the same result.  Anything anyone could tell me would be so much appreciated.

Thank you ....  Marielijah

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:20pm
post #2 of 4

Is your damn extending out beyond the cake?  I always make sure my damn does not exceed the outside of the cake...and I also on do a damn if using a gooey filling.   You do not need to damn a buttercream filled cake. 

Are you only crumbing the cake, then covering in fondant?   I always completely ice my cakes before fondanting (is that a word?)...for 2 reasons...(1) most people peel off the fondant..which allows a "buttercream" slice and (2) to hide my torte line. 

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 4

Debbie...  Yes I am building a dam and it is not extending out beyond the cake.  I do a crumb coat only and then I fondant.  I will take your suggestion and add another coat of frosting and see what happens.  Thank you so much for your reply.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 May 2013 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 4

I also use a full coating of BC.  I also never have only one layer of filling.  I torte my 2 cake layers and put 1/3 of my filling in each division.  I've found that I don't get filling bulges that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%