What Are These Strawberries Dipped In!? Help!

Decorating By dessertjunkieVK Updated 24 May 2013 , 3:48pm by JORDANCL

dessertjunkieVK Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:08am
post #1 of 7

I've seen this a dozen times on cakes and will PLEASE like to know if anyone knows what it is!!!?? Almost looks like piping gel...or some sort of gelatin....it seems too thick to be any kind of apricot jam/jelly glaze. Anyone know what I mean? icon_confused.gif Please HELP! icon_cry.gif 

6 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:20am
post #2 of 7

Yes, its strawberry glaze, and is probably sold at your grocery store right next to the strawberries.  It's basically piping gel, flavoring and red food dye.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:25am
post #3 of 7

AAnd it tastes like crap.

sewsugarqueen Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:27am
post #4 of 7

It's a glaze you dip or brush on fruit.  Here in Canada we have Dr. Oetker brand a strawberry glaze (for red fruits) and a clear glaze for other fruits.  You add water to dry package and cook a bit then brush on.  Usually you find it near gelatin.  When out I have heated strawberry/raspberry jam strained it a bit and brushed it on fruit.

It keeps the fruit fresh and prevents it from turning brown or drying out.


Commercially you can get the fruit glaze in containers if you do a lot.  They have clear and red ones.

dessertjunkieVK Posted 24 May 2013 , 3:31am
post #5 of 7

AAhh I see, ill have to take a look next time im @ the grocery store. thank you all for answering!! :)

TheCakeDude Posted 24 May 2013 , 2:04pm
post #6 of 7

AAlternatively you can find a recipe for a simple apricot glaze. Looks as good, tastes way better

JORDANCL Posted 24 May 2013 , 3:48pm
post #7 of 7

Check out this link ,


these items you may already have at home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%