Less Sweet Alternative To White Ganache

Baking By Sakuko Updated 24 May 2013 , 9:37am by Sakuko

Sakuko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakuko Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi guys.

I want to do a shoggoth cake for my boyfriend's birthday.

In years past I have always used colored white-chocolate ganache as icing when I want to landscape a bit, but most guests find it too sweet, especially if I need to build up a bit, as I plan for this cake.

I'm looking for ideas what else I might be able to use that also colors well, let's me build up an uneven surface but is not as overwhelmingly sweet as ganache.

5 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 23 May 2013 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 6

ACan you sub some of the chocolate for pure cocoa butter? That would give you a firmer texture too but would reduce the shelf life by a few days.

Sakuko Posted 23 May 2013 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

It's a good idea, sadly it's nothing that's readily available around here and probably pretty expensive if I can find some.

I should point out that I'm open to try something completely different. It doesn't need to be chocolate flavored at all.

pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 24 May 2013 , 12:57am
post #4 of 6

I have heard about using sour cream instead of heavy cream with white chocolate to tone down the sweetness but haven't tried it myself ... yet. Equal substituion.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 24 May 2013 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6

I posted a recipe for sour cream white chocolate ganache awhile back. The sour cream definitely cuts the sweetness.... but it is still too sweet to suit me. But some people really like it. I guess it depends on individual preferences.

Sakuko Posted 24 May 2013 , 9:37am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips guys. I decided to do a cream cheese-sour cream filling, which will also double as crumb-coat. Over that I'll do the sour cream ganache. I have no idea if the flavors will work, but I hope the sour cream in both can tie it together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%