Heavy Cream Left Out

Decorating By fancycakess Updated 24 May 2013 , 11:42am by Norasmom

fancycakess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancycakess Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 15

AI have 3 cartons of heavy cream that I forgot to put in the fridge last night from the grocery store. They haven't been opened. I purchased them at about 9:30 last night and found them at about 7:30 this morning. I really don't have time to run to the store since I have another cake to work on. Does anyone think it would be ok to use these. My house is about 75 degrees and I really want to use these but not if someone thinks it may be spoiled. Thanks for your help! :)

14 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 15

AI believe I'd have to chunk it(when in doubt, throw it out; not worth the risk)... but if your heart is set on trying to use it, definitely smell it first.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 15

You should play it safe and toss it  after 10 hours of sitting out. Is there anyone that can run an errand and get more for you? I know it's a bummer, but just think of exercising caution for your clients and the possibility of someone getting ill....which could in turn be bad for your business. If you smell it or taste it, you won't be able to detect the already growing bacteria.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 23 May 2013 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 15

AI on the other had think it would be fine to use them.

fancycakess Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 15

AThanks for the replies y'all. No one to do my running around today, just me. I'll give it some more thought and figure out what to do after I finish this cake. I appreciate your input! :-)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 15

Pour yourself a coffee.  Add a little of your cream to the coffee.  If it curdles in the coffee, its bad no matter what your nose tells you (even if it passes the smell test).  If it doesn't curdle in the coffee its probably safe to use. 

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 23 May 2013 , 10:45pm
post #7 of 15

AIt is absolutely not ok to use these. 4hours at room temp for temperature sensitive food MAX! I hope you didn't use them.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 15

AAre we forgetting that after the cream is used up in the recipe it will still sit out some more during the decorating phase and delivery phase and at the event? TOSS IT or if you must use it, do so for your own personal consumption but for crying out loud give your customers the quality and freshness they are paying for. Total no-brainer because if you had basic food safety training this thread has no reason to exist.

fancycakess Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:41pm
post #9 of 15

A

Original message sent by vgcea

Are we forgetting that after the cream is used up in the recipe it will still sit out some more during the decorating phase and delivery phase and at the event? TOSS IT or if you must use it, do so for your own personal consumption but for crying out loud give your customers the quality and freshness they are paying for. Total no-brainer because if you had basic food safety training this thread has no reason to exist.

Is there a reason you have to be so rude? Actually this is not for a paying customer this is for a family members bday that I am doing for free! And if I had food safety training I wouldn't be asking this question. Not everyone on this site is a professional baker. Some of us are beginners and have questions!!

kaylawaylalayla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylawaylalayla Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:51pm
post #10 of 15

AIts good that you care enough to ask. But please take the time to look up the temperature danger zone and 4hr limits and FATTOM. Its really useful information and will help you a lot in the future.

fancycakess Posted 24 May 2013 , 12:01am
post #11 of 15

A

Original message sent by kaylawaylalayla

Its good that you care enough to ask. But please take the time to look up the temperature danger zone and 4hr limits and FATTOM. Its really useful information and will help you a lot in the future.

I haven't used them yet and I will trash them b/c the last thing I want is someone getting sick b/c of something I cooked. Thanks for the information! I will check it out.

vgcea Posted 24 May 2013 , 12:29am
post #12 of 15

AThat post was actually quite tame to be honest. It's stating the facts with no chaser. I guess the recent food poisoning episode i had has turned me into a ninja and I lose it when food handlers want to prioritize logistics over safety. Paying or not, nobody deserves to eat unsafe food. You don't have to be a pro to know the difference between good and bad eats.

Original message sent by fancycakess

Is there a reason you have to be so rude? Actually this is not for a paying customer this is for a family members bday that I am doing for free! And if I had food safety training I wouldn't be asking this question. Not everyone on this site is a professional baker. Some of us are beginners and have questions!!

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 24 May 2013 , 4:24am
post #13 of 15

It doesn't matter if it's for family or customers, paying or not paying...........#1 thing: you need to educate yourself about is food safety and handling. There aren't any valid excuses. 3 cases of cream...that's a big family party!

It's like your a bus driver and you don't know how to drive a bus or anything about it....you're still responsible for the safety of the people on your bus and on the roads around you.

People really do die from food poisoning & cross contamination, neither of which can be seen or smelled.

vgcea Posted 24 May 2013 , 4:53am
post #14 of 15

ATell me about it. I was so sick. Sicker than I've been in years. The last time I was that sick it was 11 years ago and I had malaria. Not cool.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 May 2013 , 11:42am
post #15 of 15

Consider it an inexpensive fix.  Cream isn't that expensive.  At least you didn't break your Kitchen Aid or ruin the suspension on your car delivering a cake through the wilderness...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%