Tearing Fondant Frustration

Decorating By CreationsbyNicole Updated 23 May 2013 , 12:14pm by CreationsbyNicole

CreationsbyNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsbyNicole Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:03am
post #1 of 3

My nightmare fondant has once again made an appearance!  I used to make my own fondant but I kept having an occasional problem with the fondant tearing while I was still in the kneading process.  I used to think it was just dry so I'd add more shortening, or more glycerin for the stretch, more corn syrup, etc.The problem didn't only arise when I was making dark colors, so that shot my other theory out of the water. 

So I switched to Satin Ice and Fondx and haven't had the issue again....until tonight.  I am trying to make a very specific sage green to match the birthday girls flowers on her dress.  Its not a dark color, so I'm not adding a lot, but I am adding each of three colors a very little at a time and kneading after each addition.  Is it possible to over knead fondant? 

I am at a loss as to what the problem is and what the solution is.  I am so close to having the color done, but the fondant is just falling apart on me while I am kneading it.  I am so frustrated!

I would appreciate any thoughts you had to share!  Thanks!

2 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:52am
post #2 of 3

Yes you can totally overwork fondant!  And you can add too much glycerin and shortening making your fondant unworkable and you can't save it.

It's really important to make sure you color your fondant as far in advance as possible and work it as little as possible.  Add your color, get it mostly incorporated, wrap it in plastic and leave it alone for at least a few hours to a few days.  Then bring it back out and finish coloring it if needed, wrap it back up and leave it alone again for at least a few hours.  Don't add glycerin or shortening.  You shouldn't need it at this stage, if at all.

It could also be your fondant.  Check your expiration date.

CreationsbyNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreationsbyNicole Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your reply.  I think it is a combination of over working and too much shortening at this point.  Going to work on a new batch today, at least I have two more days to let it rest in between kneading.  Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%