It Started Out As A Response To A How Do I - Here Is An Answer To A Thread I Read About What To Use In Place Of Cany Melts

Decorating By bakingbev Updated 23 May 2013 , 3:27pm by bct806

bakingbev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingbev Posted 22 May 2013 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 2

Not sure how I write on these threads but here goeas.

I have been slogging over the oven this afternoon making pop cakes for my craft show on Monday. I made them the way it says in my pop cake book which offers two methods. One using a sponge cake mixture by pouring it into the pink pop cake molds topping them with the top mold with holes in it. The other method was to use a mixture similar to Yorkshire puddings and the molds. Great methods, pop cakes are OK a bit scewwiff where some have written and others flat, but once you get the coating on them you wont be able to tell the difference, they will all look good. Next I tried to melt my chocolate chips to decorate them. Low and behold, i managed to burn the chocolate chips. I tried to repair the damage, but failed miserably.  What can I use now. I know the cheap cheap chocolate I bought from Tesco at 30p a bar, yes that's just 30p. It melts wonderfully and you can afford to go a bit mad and not scrimp on it. In the end, I coated my pop cakes in wilk chocolate, white chocolate, red chocolate, made by adding red food dye to the white chocolate, green chocolate made by adding green food coloring to the white chocolate, blue chocolate, pink chocolate etc etc etc. You can also add any type of vegetable oil in small doses to make the mixture smoother. The results are fantastic, easy, well priced and taste scrummylicious. So come on all the ladies & men who have a tesco near to where they live, go and raid the cheep chocolate aisles for this wonderful chocolate covering in place of the candy melts used in other countries. Ah but why have I wrote about the baking of my pop cakes as well. Well, its only when I was looking for alternatives to candy melts that I found out I have been making my pocakes wrong. Little did I know you made them by crumbling up sponge cake into small crumbs, then add what .I call runny icing, mix the mixture up by hand kneading it until you can form balls of the mixture Using a small ice cream scoop to keep the sizes the same, or weighing scales and hand forming the balls, place them on your baking sheet, cover them with cling film and place in the fridge for a couple of hours after which they will be ready to coat, Yes using the cheap chocolate form Tesco's. I was a gog, I was amazed, in fact I was flabbergasted why have I been pulling my hair out to bake cemetrical sponge balls. Well, no more. Tomorrow I will be making Cake Pops using the new method. Watch this space.

1 reply
bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 2

I prefer making them by crumbling up cake. It makes them taste better than some of the other ways I have done it. Someone gave me a cake pop machine for Christmas and I still prefer the extra work of hand rolling them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%