Do You Give Out Your Cake Recipes?

Baking By Danilou Updated 26 Jul 2013 , 9:09pm by JacklynM

stephg31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephg31 Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 5:40pm
post #31 of 38

AI'll selectively, and privately, give out mine. If I never had help starting out, I wouldn't have been able to start a business. Plus, just cause they can make the cake, doesn't me they can put it together like me. And even if they could, I don't have time to bake for everyone that asks. If its a secret recipe or a family recipe, people should understand that too though.

DolcePark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolcePark Posted 7 Jun 2013 , 6:46pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilou 

My sister asked me for my chocolate cake recipe and I said I would give it to her as long as she doesn't give it out to anyone (i.e friends, cousins etc). I told her I'd put too much work into trialing recipes (and putting on kg) to just hand out my recipes. Is anyone else the same? The funny thing is I wouldn't care about sharing them on cc though...as most of you live another continent away....lol

I would like to try this best keeped secret!

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:03pm
post #33 of 38

I recently baked for work and had three different people ask me if I owned my own business and I explained that I was a hobby baker they then proceeded to ask me for my recipes and I explained that I do not give out my recipes because a) I spend a lot of time and money working them out as they are usually based on much older recipes and b) someday I would like to have my own business so I don't want to cut myself short... the attitude was crazy... I was told that I was being ridiculous and that if I intended to own my own business that I would have to do better... I was shocked.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:20pm
post #34 of 38

Do better than what?  If you own a business you are expected to give out trade secrets on a whim?

Good for you, I'm sure they were just jealous they couldn't have your recipe . . .

Liz

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:22pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Do better than what?  If you own a business you are expected to give out trade secrets on a whim?

Good for you, I'm sure they were just jealous they couldn't have your recipe . . .

Liz

No kidding, how ridiculous.

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 4:26pm
post #36 of 38

I really was shocked with the response that I got... but I have to agree I think they were jealous.  Thank you for the support.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 8:52pm
post #37 of 38

ASooo... They asked for your recipe, and when they were told no, they basically said it sucked? Some people...

JacklynM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JacklynM Posted 26 Jul 2013 , 9:09pm
post #38 of 38

AI'm selective on who I give my recipes out to. I agree with those who said that just because you give someone a recipe doesn't mean they'll execute it right. Many times that's why I don't mind giving my recipes out. But if it is a recipe that I'd like to keep within my immediate family, then people should understand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%