Looking For Universal Cake Filling That Is Not Too Sweet, Lasts And Can Be Flavored

Baking By lobelka Updated 26 May 2013 , 6:20pm by Annabakescakes

lobelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lobelka Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 8

Good evening,

I live in Slovakia and the summer starts soon. Slovak taste is a bit different to others. We like light filling, that is not to sweet. I`m looking for a universal recipe that can be flavored with anything, like fruit puree, alcohol... Anyone has any idea? Thank you.

7 replies
cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 21 May 2013 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 8

what about an Italian (or Swiss) meringue buttercream? I usually just make the Italian version as that is what I learned first..but they're basically the same- just the method of making is different.

They're not overly sweet at all, and you can add flavoring, fruit curds etc to them. Not sure about alcohol though..I've never added that to my IMBC.

You can search youtube or perhaps online for instructions/recipe.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 22 May 2013 , 1:25am
post #3 of 8

AAny meringue based buttercream is light and has a wonderful mouth feel i.e. Not greasy! Since I live in the south (usa) and it's hot and humid I still decorate with abc but I much prefer imbc.

lobelka Posted 22 May 2013 , 7:36am
post #4 of 8

Thank you a lot for the ideas. thumbs_up.gifI will try both Italian and Swiss and let them to decide what is better. We do not use them here, so it will be something new to me too. Thank you a lot again. icon_biggrin.gif

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 22 May 2013 , 7:41am
post #5 of 8

Here's a good youtube video on IMBC

(if the link doesn't work type in "warren browns italian meringue buttercream"

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 May 2013 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 8

AI am very curious to know what you do use there! Please share ;-)

lobelka Posted 26 May 2013 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 8

AHi, We mostly use pudding filling with addition of butter or margarine. Many people go for very traditional cakes. So I decided to open the possibility to try different ones. Maybe for you ,ours cakes will be uniqe, for us are very traditional. During the week I get some pictures to share. :-)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 May 2013 , 6:20pm
post #8 of 8

AIn North America, most people think pudding comes in a cup, pre-made. Just peel back the label and insert spoon, lol. They think it is homemade when you add a box of sugar, artificial flavor and modified food starch and mix your cold milk in, but I am guessing you make a cooked milk and such?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%