Help!!! My Buttercream Is Not Sticking To The Cake!!!!

Decorating By awalkerm Updated 18 Jul 2019 , 11:58pm by soldiernurse

awalkerm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awalkerm Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 23

First I love in North Carolina so humidity is an issue, I have just moved here a year ago and this the first time I have had such problems crumb coating a cake, it is a shortening buttercream and I have never had a problem before but it just fall off the side of the cake when trying to frost it and the crumbs are all in the frosting and it looks awful!  anyone have a suggestion?

22 replies
Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 23

Is it the crumb coat that won't stick?  It may be too stiff.  Try mixing some of your buttercream with water to thin it out and then pop your cake in the freezer for 15 minutes and then applying your final coat!

psgodusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psgodusa Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 23

yeah, I also think that the buttercream might be stiff, you will have to thin it out to make it more spreadable. I had the same problem one time with one of my cakes and it went smooth when I added a little water to the buttercream and changed its consistency.

awalkerm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awalkerm Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 23

thank you I tried it that helped, I guess I did not relie how much I needed to thin out the  buttercream.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 23

Yes, that problem is ususally due to icing being too thick.

Have you tried crumbing your cakes by heating your icing?  I usually work w/about 1/4 cup or less at a time.  I melt the icing in the Microwave oven - usually takes less than 10 seconds.  YOu don't want to cook the icing, just melt most of it, then stir it up until it is completely melted. * Work very quickly*  - pour it over then cake and spread well.  It will cover the cake like a glazed donut and dry within seconds.  Any leftover melted icing cannot be used in any way that's why I work w/small amounts at a time even if it's a big cake :)

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 23

I live in Iowa, right now the humidity is only 33%. Yet I'm just beside myself. Yesterday the batch I made went on perfectly, a rare occurrence. Today, well Beetlejuice is the monster in my head right now. I use whipping cream primarily never really had that much of an issue....

kakeladi Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 23

Haven’t used whipping cream as icing so don’t really know what to say   Could you have overwhipped it—just under the point of it becoming butter?  

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 23

I did add a tiny bit of water it helped. The date on the cream is June 24 so I know that isn't the problem, at least I don't think so. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 1:05am
post #9 of 23

i’m not clear on your problem — you are crumb coating your cake with whipped cream and it’s not adhering? 

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 23

I use whipping cream in my BC icing, it's always been really good, even crusting. But for some reason this time it wasn't. I did take the suggestion above and use a little water to smooth it out. It stayed on the cake and crusted like it usually does. I checked the date on the whipping cream and it was only dated for the 24th so it's not old.

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 23

I use whipping cream in my abc all the time too —

sorry i’m confused initially you said it went on perfectly but it didn’t crust? or it fell off? or both?

do you think you mis-measured anything? 

did you shake the w. cream up first before pouring?

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 6:57pm
post #12 of 23

I always shake my cream up first. It just wouldn't stick to the cake.  I measure by the tbsp into a cup so that I use the same amount each time. I don't mean to confuse you. 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 23

oh don't worry about that -- I started out confused hahahaha

but maybe the fat from your cake pan is making the icing slide off? can you shave the browned edges of the cake so the icing has something to adhere to? just a thought

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 11:18pm
post #14 of 23

Oooh never thought of that!! I'll add another puff of flour to make sure it comes out ok....I

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 4:50pm
post #15 of 23

I occasionally have trouble with the icing not wanting to stick to the cake, but it is when I use shortening instead of butter.  I know a lot of the problem is the new formula without trans fats.  When I had the most trouble was when I was using homemade cake release, which is equal parts shortening, vegetable oil and flour.  I suspect the oil was the culprit.  Now I just use parchment paper around the sides of the pan, as well as on the bottom.

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 23

When you use Parchment paper on the sides are you going around the outside of the pan to measure? I know that's a crazy question, but I've never done that. 

kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 7:54pm
post #17 of 23

No  --   lining the pan w/parchment or wax paper is placed inside the pan against the side & manytimes the bottom.   You can lightly grease the pan before adding the paper to help it stick.

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 8:09pm
post #18 of 23

Don't have to spray the paper inside

kakeladi Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 8:57pm
post #19 of 23

NO the paper gives you the release wanted.  After than cake has cooled, just peel it away.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jun 2019 , 1:51am
post #20 of 23

Ditto what kakeladi said.  Cut strips of parchment paper long enough to go around the inside of the pan, three or four inches wide and (using your pan as a guide) a circle or parchment paper to go in the bottom of the pan.  Grease your pan with shortening or cooking spray so it helps hold the parchment paper in place.  If the sides of your pan are not straight, it is very tricky to get the paper to stand up.  You do not need to put anything on the paper at all.  It peels right off.  I remove the paper when I turn the cakes out of the pan.

LaurisCakesandMore Posted 17 Jun 2019 , 6:44pm
post #21 of 23

Thank you both!! You'd think after a long time of baking I'd know this....

SandraSmiley Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 10:56pm
post #22 of 23

Not necessarily, Lauri.  I learn something new every day!

soldiernurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soldiernurse Posted 18 Jul 2019 , 11:58pm
post #23 of 23

Quote by @kakeladi on 21 May 2013 , 3:01pm

Yes, that problem is ususally due to icing being too thick.

Have you tried crumbing your cakes by heating your icing?  I usually work w/about 1/4 cup or less at a time.  I melt the icing in the Microwave oven - usually takes less than 10 seconds.  YOu don't want to cook the icing, just melt most of it, then stir it up until it is completely melted. * Work very quickly*  - pour it over then cake and spread well.  It will cover the cake like a glazed donut and dry within seconds.  Any leftover melted icing cannot be used in any way that's why I work w/small amounts at a time even if it's a big cake :)

Wow...I've  ever heard of this..will test it out..do you use it a lot?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%