Help!!! My Buttercream Is Not Sticking To The Cake!!!!

Decorating By awalkerm Updated 21 May 2013 , 10:01pm by kakeladi

awalkerm Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 5

First I love in North Carolina so humidity is an issue, I have just moved here a year ago and this the first time I have had such problems crumb coating a cake, it is a shortening buttercream and I have never had a problem before but it just fall off the side of the cake when trying to frost it and the crumbs are all in the frosting and it looks awful!  anyone have a suggestion?

4 replies
Pam1976 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 5

Is it the crumb coat that won't stick?  It may be too stiff.  Try mixing some of your buttercream with water to thin it out and then pop your cake in the freezer for 15 minutes and then applying your final coat!

psgodusa Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 5

yeah, I also think that the buttercream might be stiff, you will have to thin it out to make it more spreadable. I had the same problem one time with one of my cakes and it went smooth when I added a little water to the buttercream and changed its consistency.

awalkerm Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 5

thank you I tried it that helped, I guess I did not relie how much I needed to thin out the  buttercream.

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, that problem is ususally due to icing being too thick.

Have you tried crumbing your cakes by heating your icing?  I usually work w/about 1/4 cup or less at a time.  I melt the icing in the Microwave oven - usually takes less than 10 seconds.  YOu don't want to cook the icing, just melt most of it, then stir it up until it is completely melted. * Work very quickly*  - pour it over then cake and spread well.  It will cover the cake like a glazed donut and dry within seconds.  Any leftover melted icing cannot be used in any way that's why I work w/small amounts at a time even if it's a big cake :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%