Stitches Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:05pm
post #1 of

Where are you finding reasonably priced cake pedestals? I'd love to buy a large tall white one for photographing but I'm not paying over $150.00 for a 14" cake stand that's glass. I'm bound to chip or break it!!

The main use for me would be for photographing my cakes. I rarely have a cake base smaller then 14" so anything smaller then that is useless. It's really hard to find larger pedestals......

20 replies
FrostedMoon Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:11pm
post #2 of

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but thought I'd post in case it works for you. Ebay can be a good place to search, but you never know what you'll find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-Pedestal-Cake-Stand-14-Inch-Round-Wedding-Cake-Stand-/150950312304

ddaigle Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:16pm
post #3 of

It's not white...but the price is great.   Hobby Lobby always has a 14" silver one in the wedding section.   They are $49.99....with your $40 off one item coupon, the price can't be beat!  I have 2 because I do a lot of 6/10 combos...I put them on a 14" drum and use this plateau all the time. 

14" Silver Ornate Cake Plateau

leah_s Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:27pm
post #4 of

My local HL actually has white plateaus!

ddaigle Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:28pm
post #5 of

Leah....where at in the store?...I would like some white ones also.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:31pm
post #6 of

I have found some really pretty ones in antique stores, lots of milk glass or depression glass in pretty colours.

My plain white one I found at homegoods for $40ish.

I also buy quite a bit from this site, http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2445/cake-and-pie-display-stands-and-covers.html

I didn't really look through to see if they have a nice white one, I get plateaus, glass and stainless steel pedestals form them. Some you have to by in lots though.

I needed 6 stainless ones for a wedding last year, so I bought form them and sold the extras on craigslist :P

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:33pm
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

It's not white...but the price is great.   Hobby Lobby always has a 14" silver one in the wedding section.   They are $49.99....with your $40 off one item coupon, the price can't be beat!  I have 2 because I do a lot of 6/10 combos...I put them on a 14" drum and use this plateau all the time. 

14" Silver Ornate Cake Plateau

wow, that's an amazing price! Man I wish we had hobby lobby around here.

leah_s Posted 21 May 2013 , 4:56pm
post #8 of

ADdaigle, in the cake supplies aisle.

Stitches Posted 21 May 2013 , 5:04pm
post #9 of

I'm really searching for something white and tall. Think Maggie Austin photos...... are her cakes that small or the pedestals that expensive?

AZCouture Posted 21 May 2013 , 5:35pm

Those are Sarah stands...and they are pricey. They just released a lower priced line.

Stitches Posted 21 May 2013 , 5:53pm

Yes, I think I looked at the lower price line.............it was still over $150. for a glass 14" pedestal. That's not in my budget, I break things. I'll only spend that on something not breakable....and I already have those items.

vgcea Posted 21 May 2013 , 5:55pm

AYep, I was going to come in here and say Sarah's Stands. The new line starts at $95 I believe they're carbon steel.

AZCouture Posted 21 May 2013 , 6:05pm

Glass? They're either metal or wood.

kazita Posted 21 May 2013 , 6:34pm

ANot sure what the look is you want

item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150950312304

kazita Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:10pm

AThis one is really pretty....not sure what its made out of.

www.etsy.com/listing/126484315/16-inch-white-pedestal-wedding-cake?ref=market

lorieleann Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:50pm

Sarah's Stands are wood, and the new Simply Stand line is a carbon steel.  I have the Vintage Lace in a 16" and it has already paid for itself in rental fees. (a 14" silver Simple Stunning is actually on its way to me as I type)  It is so versatile.  If you are going to go with a raised pedestal, then it really is worth it to spend the money on a stand that is rated for the weight of a large tiered cake. Pedestal stands that are two pieces held together with an epoxy are not going to be stable enough to hold the weight of a four tier and greater cake.  

shanter Posted 21 May 2013 , 9:18pm

If all else fails, you could make your own, for something smaller than 4 tiers.

Get a tall pillar candle holder made of wood, such as

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Pillar-Candle-Stand-Holder-9-Tall-/281083997189?pt=Candle_Holders_Accessories&hash=item4171e96c05

or http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Nuvo-CA87423-8-Spooled-Wood-Pillar-Candle-Holder-3-5-by-5-75-Inch-Walnut-/360649288505?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f85f6b39

I would first try to find one in a thrift store.

Then at a Home Depot or a lumber place, you can buy wooden rounds (small table tops).

Sand the underside of the middle of the round; sand the top of the candle holder.

Glue them together with carpenter's wood glue.

Paint with non-toxic gloss paint.

It's an idea.

Toodee Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:24pm

I have just been through this search and had a really hard time finding anything with a big enough top plate that was completely flat and would be strong enough to hold a 4+ tiered cake. I was all ready to splurge on one from Sarah's Stands but postage was an absolute killer to Australia :(

In the end I got my Grandad to make one for me. Definitely strong enough as he stood(!!) on it to test the strength. I think he forgets that he is 84yrs old sometimes!

Stitches Posted 22 May 2013 , 1:12pm

I love the Sarah Stands. I thought they were glass, cause for the life of me I didn't see where they mention that it's metal on their site. If they are indestructible than I can see paying those prices (but I don't want to).

vgcea Posted 22 May 2013 , 4:58pm

A

Original message sent by Stitches

I love the Sarah Stands. I thought they were glass, cause for the life of me I didn't see where they mention that it's metal on their site. If they are indestructible than I can see paying those prices (but I don't want to).

Pony up! Pony up!! Pony up!!!

Stitches Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:05am
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Pony up! Pony up!! Pony up!!!

No kidding.........seems like that's all I do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%