Red Velvet Wedding Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting.

Decorating By thebluehaiku Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 1:28am by LoveMeSomeCake615

thebluehaiku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thebluehaiku Posted 21 May 2013 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

I am making a red velvet wedding cake with cream cheese frosting.  It has three tiers with three layers in each tier.  I'm using a SPS system for support. 
I have several questions, mostly logistical:

My current plan is to bake the cakes and freeze them.  I will pull them out the morning of the wedding.  I will fill and crumb coat while partially frozen.  I will then transport the cakes.  I will refrigerate them upon arrival at the venue.  Presumably, within a few hours the cakes will be thawed, but still cold.  I will frost the final layers and assemble the cake.  It will go back into the refrigerator until the cake is cut by the bride and groom in the evening by which time I presume the cake will have thawed entirely (if it hadn't been before).  Between the cutting and serving (or for the duration of the reception, potentially), the cake will be out so that it is room temperature when served to guests.  

1. I know cream cheese frosting is not that sturdy and so many people worry about it.  If I use a crusting cream cheese recipe, is this still a problem?  Will this cake fall apart?  Because cream cheese needs to be refrigerated, the cake will be in the fridge for most of the day (when I'm not working on it or moving it).

2.  Will moving it in and out of the fridge exacerbate potential melting/distortion?  How to I mitigate this given that the cake needs to be refrigerated? 

3. Any other tips?  Would you do it differently? If so, how?

HELP!!!!

7 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:40pm
post #2 of 8

Wow, that's an awful lot to do on the day of the wedding.  I would never fill and crumb coat the day of, especially for a wedding.  If, for whatever reason, you need to do all the decorating on the day of the wedding, I would fill and crumb coat at least the day before. 

You may also want to check out Decorators Cream Cheese Frosting recipe for the outside of the cake. 

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 8

Why would you ice your cakes at the venue?  All of my cakes are iced 2 days before an event and decorated the night before.  Except in the case of a case that was just sticking satin ribbon and premade flowers, then I would ice and decorated the night before.  Your cream cheese icing will be fine.  You're either very quick and very good, or this is a disaster waiting to happen.  I've never heard of anyone icing at the venue.

therealmrsriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therealmrsriley Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 8

I know you're worried about refrigerating the cake to keep the cream cheese filling from going bad, but is there any way you can do the filling and icing at home and keep it refrigerated there until you deliver?

I don't know about you, but on the day of a cake delivery I'm trying to tie up all the loose ends I can and I'm usually working right up to the time of delivery. You will want to build in the "anything can happen" factor on the day of the wedding.

When you get to the venue to alleviate stress, you should only be assembling the cake and doing any last minute touches. Is this a small cake with very few details? I hope your plan goes well.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 8

Honestly, you are setting yourself up for a potential disaster. What happens if something goes wrong at the venue, you can't fix it.

I would just find a room temp stable cream cheese frosting, one with enough sugar will act as a preservative.

Rule of thumb is recipes with 4 cups sugar to 8 ounces of cream cheese are considered room temp safe.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 8

Do not do all that just to accommodate cream cheese frosting. What a pain in the butt and potential stress fest!  Use this recipe: 

Earlene's Cream Cheese Buttercream

2 lbs. of powdered sugar 
1/3 C. warm water 
1 1/2 t. Vanilla
3 oz cream cheese 
7 oz. hi-ratio shortening

It's shelf stable, and much easier to ice smooth and decorate with than the usual cream cheese icing. You don't need to keep it refrigerated. We use it all the time (although we use butter, not shortening) and leave it at room temp. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 29 May 2013 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 8

AI agree with all the above (except the OP, haha..) Also, as long as your cream cheese is fresh, stays refrigerated until you need it, and you use a good recipe, there is no worry about spoilage. Dairy products in the USA are so highly processed and pasteurized that they are 2 clicks away from being shelf stable, or indestructible. No joke, I have yogurt that expired 4 months ago that I ate a cup of last week and it was delicious. No off flavor, separation, or explosive diarrhea.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:28am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 
 No joke, I have yogurt that expired 4 months ago that I ate a cup of last week and it was delicious. No off flavor, separation, or explosive diarrhea.

HAHAHA! Wow, that's a little scary that our dairy lasts that long without spoiling! icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%