Whipped Cream Cake With Strawberry Filling - Is It Ok To Use Just Fresh Strawberries Sliced?

Decorating By mahlmann Updated 23 May 2013 , 12:49am by kazita

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 20 May 2013 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hi - I've been asked to make a chocolate cake with strawberries and whipped cream frosting. I have never done this before. I have seen some of the recipes for making a stabalzied whip cream. As far as the filling, do I need to do one that makes it more of a jam or am I ok just putting down some of the whipped cream frosting and placing sliced strawberries on it? I realized that the strawberries have to have been dried a little so they don't leak water. Please help ... totally confused!

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 22 May 2013 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 3

Strawberries don't really taste a lot, so if you just use fresh, sliced strawberries then it won't give a lot of flavor, and it might be overpowered by the chocolate. What I would do is slice the strawberries and mix it with some (high fruit content) strawberry jam, have that on one layer and cream on another. That way it will feel like fresh strawberries, but have more flavor. Unfortunately I cannot help you regarding the whipped cream frosting.. Where I live we have cream with 40% fat content, and it becomes hard enough just by whipping it, so I've never needed to stabilize it. Maybe someone else has some advice for you :)

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:49am
post #3 of 3

AWith all the threads on here lately about strawberries I sure do feel lucky that I have a cake shop in my town where I can buy a already to go sleeve of strawberry filling....just saying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%