Root Beer Float Cake Recipe???

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 20 May 2013 , 10:50pm by getonthemove

sixinarow Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 2

I'm sorry this is going to be wordy.

My dad has had a really tough year. We had to move my grandpa (his dad) into a nursing home after he fell and broke several ribs, his only sibling (his older brother) died suddenly of a heart valve issue in Feb. My sisters and I bugged him until he went in to get checked by his doc and he ended up needed open heart surgery to replace his heart valve in April. It has been a looooong road to recovery for my family to say the least. He's making huge strides in his recovery and will celebrate his 64th bday in June. I wanted to make him something special, not just the same chocolate or red velvet cake I make almost every year. When were little, we would ride or bikes down to the old A&W drive-in and get root beer floats, so I was thinking of trying Macsmom's Root Beer Float cake recipe with a vanilla filling.

Has anyone tried this recipe and if so, did you like it? I'm a little hesitant because I can't really wrap my brain around what root beer cake would taste like!

Root Beer Float - Macsmom

1 box white cake mix

1 c flour

1 c sugar

1 c vanilla yogurt

3/4 t salt

1 1/3 c root beer

4 eggs

1/8 c oil

1 t vanilla

2 t root beer extract

Any feed back would help me in deciding what cake to make him this year.

Sorry this was long!

1 reply
getonthemove Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 2

First,  sorry to hear of all the troubles your family has been going through.

Second, I haven't tried this particular recipe for root beer float cake, but I have recently made a root beer float cake.  It was a big hit with everybody - kids and adults.  I would recommend that you use a root beer that you like to drink to make the cake.  I used a vanilla buttercream to cover the cake to really add to the "float" flavor.  Having never had this particular recipe, I don't know how strong the root beer flavor is going to be because the recipe I used called for 2 Tablespoons of extract, as well as the root beer,  and I don't think the root beer flavor was overpowering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%