Lace "doily" Draped On Top Of Cake?

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 20 May 2013 , 11:24pm by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 6

I would love to find a closer shot of this cake so I can dissect it a bit more...but this is the best I can come up with.  Any ideas on how to make the lace that is draped over the cake and adhered to the side?

5 replies
tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 6

It looks like this lace mold from a previous post. http://www.caljavaonline.com/lacemold500s-3-525.htm

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 6

I've looked at those other threads and every link sort of leads to a dead end... nothing on ebay, caljava his discontinued their mold, etc.  I have a bride looking for this kind of cake and reserving by response until I feel a little more comfortable as to what I am getting myself into, you know?  Has anyone here made one like this?

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 6

I did this big lace overlay by hand cutting a circle, then pressing in the holes to cut out and once chilled and placed on the cake, removing the cut outs. Finished with lots of tiny royal icing details to continue the edging and add over-embroidery look to the lace. The top tier was the last one and I finally got the hang of how to make it drape away (but I wasn't about to redo the two lower tiers to make it match).  

I really, really wish that i could have used a mold!  A necessity for a uniform look. 

5"/7"/9" fondant cake with lace overlay of fondant overpiped with royal.  Porcelain topper was inspiration for this fairy-tale, whimsical wedding.  Bottom cake was dark chocolate with vanilla bean SMBC, top two tiers were vanilla rose with vanilla bean SMBC.

dukeswalker Posted 20 May 2013 , 11:24pm
post #6 of 6

gorgeous cake, lorieleann!  She is also interested in this cake, which looks like the smaller lace mold set from caljava...also discontinued.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%