Help! Transporting Cake/cupcakes 8 Hours For Outdoor Wedding

Decorating By goblamepandora Updated 20 May 2013 , 7:36pm by reginaherrin

goblamepandora Posted 20 May 2013 , 6:57pm
post #1 of 3

My friend is getting married this September, and I am her MOH. She asked me to do the dessert for the wedding and I agreed. She wants carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting for the guests, and also a small 1-tiered wedding cake (probably a 4- or 6-inch round cake) so she and her husband have something to cut into.

Initially the wedding was going to be held in Cleveland, OH (I'm in Columbus, so that's only 2 hours away). But after I agreed to do the cake, they changed the wedding venue to Iowa City, which is a little over 8 hours away. She has family in Iowa who she said would let me use their kitchens, and she also offered to rent a commercial kitchen space for me if need be.

I was thinking I could make the cake layers and cupcakes at my home (since I know and trust my oven), wrap them well, and transport them to Iowa, then make the frosting in Iowa and frost the cakes the day of the wedding.

I would need to make the cake layers and cupcakes on Sept. 12th, drive to Iowa the 13th, and the wedding is on the 15th. I was thinking if I froze the cakes and cupcakes after they cooled, then transferred them to coolers for the trip, then refroze them when I got to Iowa, they might be okay?

My husband thinks that this is a bad idea, and that I should back out and/or offer to pay for a bakery in Iowa to do the cake/cupcakes instead, especially because he thinks I won't have time to frost a cake when I'm doing a bunch of other matron-of-honor stuff.

Do you think it is feasible to transport the unfrosted cakes from Ohio to Iowa safely and without them staling? If so, how would you recommend doing it?

Also, the wedding is outdoors (in a barn). How far in advance should I frost the cake and cupcakes, and what is the best way to store the frosted cakes before moving them outdoors for the guests?

2 replies
reginaherrin Posted 20 May 2013 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 3

I have done something similar to this before and it is totally do-able.  We planned a huge 60th birthday party for my dad at my grandparents that lives about 3 hours away and I was planning on doing a really intricate 3 tier pillow cake.  What I did was make everything I would need at my house and then transported everything to the party location.  I froze all the cake layers and put the buttercream and fillings in a cooler with ice and everything got there just fine.  I had access to a separate refrigerator to use so I immediately go started on the cake. I also had a ton of party work to do so in-between stopping periods I worked on the party and I only had a day and a half to work on everything.  Make sure the cake and cupcakes are frozen (which will keep them fresh) and super wrapped up.  You can start working on the cake right when you get there if you want but I would wait on the cupcakes and I would make the cream cheese icing when you get there as well.  I try to ice cupcakes as close to the day you need them as possible especially since it is cream cheese and will be an outdoor wedding but I am not sure how you are planning on decorating them and if they have a lot of decorations.  I would try to make the decorations for the cupcakes in advance if that is possible, like if you are doing flowers or something. 

reginaherrin Posted 20 May 2013 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 3

I have done something similar to this before and it is totally do-able.  We planned a huge 60th birthday party for my dad at my grandparents that lives about 3 hours away and I was planning on doing a really intricate 3 tier pillow cake.  What I did was make everything I would need at my house and then transported everything to the party location.  I froze all the cake layers and put the buttercream and fillings in a cooler with ice and everything got there just fine.  I had access to a separate refrigerator to use so I immediately go started on the cake. I also had a ton of party work to do so in-between stopping periods I worked on the party and I only had a day and a half to work on everything.  Make sure the cake and cupcakes are frozen (which will keep them fresh) and super wrapped up.  You can start working on the cake right when you get there if you want but I would wait on the cupcakes and I would make the cream cheese icing when you get there as well.  I try to ice cupcakes as close to the day you need them as possible especially since it is cream cheese and will be an outdoor wedding but I am not sure how you are planning on decorating them and if they have a lot of decorations.  I would try to make the decorations for the cupcakes in advance if that is possible, like if you are doing flowers or something. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%