Customer With A Crazy Request!

Decorating By CindyPO Updated 20 May 2013 , 3:46pm by jason_kraft

CindyPO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyPO Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:18am
post #1 of 7

AI had someone ask me if I could still make the cake a quarter sheet. But take of the height n add it to the sides to make it longer but still charge qrtr sheet price.

6 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:33am
post #2 of 7

AWhat's crazy about that? The quantity of cake won't change, it will just be a shorter, wider quarter sheet cake. Am I missing something?

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:41am
post #3 of 7

I'm having trouble understanding what you mean.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 20 May 2013 , 6:49am
post #4 of 7

So instead of stacking the layers, she wants them laid side by side, right? So that it's a just a larger single layer of cake?

That's fine, but shouldn't be the same price. You need a bigger cake board, and the decorating surface just got doubled, so I would charge accordingly.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 20 May 2013 , 12:28pm
post #5 of 7

Sounds like she wants a 1/2 sheet, not a 1/4 sheet. I have separate prices for single layer sheets and double layer filled sheets. Like scrumdiddly says - you should charge extra due to additional supplies (boards/boxes) and more decorations required. Plus 1/4 sheets are relatively easy to handle. 1/2 sheets (especially single layered ones) are very delicate and can break easily - i.e. more of a hassle, i.e. more of a charge!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 May 2013 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 7

And wouldn't you need twice the icing?  If you start with a 2" layer (untorted or filled) and are now splitting it into 2 - 1" layers, you would need more icing for the top, correct? Is your customer trying to get by with less cake for more people?

Liz

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 May 2013 , 3:46pm
post #7 of 7

AThe half sheet should be priced higher. Our quarter sheet cake with 2 layers has a starting price of $69, and a half-sheet single layer starts at $84.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%