How Can Cake Be Too "cakey"?

Decorating By eatmycakebaby Updated 20 May 2013 , 5:28am by vgcea

eatmycakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmycakebaby Posted 20 May 2013 , 4:25am
post #1 of 2

The other day I had a bridal tasting for a couple. They asked to taste my yellow cake, lemon cake, and my double chocolate cake.  I made all 3 cakes and was super excited because I was hoping this would make my 3rd wedding cake within the year that I have started doing cakes. Well we started discussing the cakes and the different fillings and stuff. 

They raved about the lemon cake than stated, "well the chocolate is good but we aint that big on chocolate cake" icon_eek.gif thinking (so why did you ask me to taste it .)  So I just push forward with the yellow cake. When the bride tasted the yellow cake her response was "o its very cakey and what could you do to make it more MOIST"  WT****icon_mad.gif so I replied "what is cakey AND what do you want bread or a cookie. MOISTURE has never been an issue with any cake of mine before." by this point I about had it. 

I typed all that to asked this am I missing something how can a cake be too "CAKEY".  Now remind you my yellow and lemon cake are both the same cake one just has lemon extract in it and the other has amaretto. 

here is the recipe:

2 sticks butter

3.5 cups cake flour

2teaspoons baking powder

2tablespoons wilton meringue powder.

5eggs

2.5 cups sugar

1.25 cups milk

1.5 tablespoons vanilla

1 tablespoon amaretto

This is the recipe my great grandmother use to make her LB CAKE I just took out 2 eggs and added the meringue powder.  how ever it still has that LB CAKE texture and Im thinking thats what she means by "CAKEY"

SO SOMEONE PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM DOING WRONG

1 reply
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:27am
post #2 of 2

AHold up. You've sold cakes before without complaints, this same person liked the lemon cake which is essentially the same cake with different extracts, and you're asking what you're doing wrong?

What you're doing wrong is allowing some person, one out of many people, to tell you something is wrong with a recipe that she 50% likes and 50% can't even describe appropriately. Seriously, you've got to have 'faith' in your product and not be swayed by unfounded complaints. Now if they said the same about both recipes, I would say there's a basis for concern, but other than the possibility that you overbaked the yellow cake, I don't see why you're freaking out. Take a chill pill and go eat some of that fine cakey yellow cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%