Need Wedding Tier Sizing Suggestions

Decorating By Girlfriendal Updated 23 May 2013 , 5:37am by Girlfriendal

Girlfriendal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Girlfriendal Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 11

AOne of my best friends is getting married in exactly two weeks. My gift to her is her wedding cake. Deal is, the only other wedding cake I've ever made was my own, and that was just for 30 people. The largest cake I've ever made was a birthday cake to serve 70. This wedding was supposed to have 80-90 people at it. Now 125 are confirmed. Soooo....I need sizing help!

I'm using Earlene's chart for sizing (http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm), because the cake is the only dessert or sweet being served, and I definitely want to make sure I have enough for everyone.

Here are my issues and limitations.

The cakes must be round (bride's request). The largest pan my oven will fit is a 14" (and I don't want to use half pans). The bride wishes to keep the top tier for her anniversary. I can't do more than 4 tiers (transporting fully assembled and have height limitations).

Earlene's chart doesn't even list a wedding cake possibility that will serve 125 with a base 14" cake. Technically I could do a 14/12/10/8...that would serve 140. But handing my friend an 8" round top tier to take home sounds a bit ridiculously large.

I could really use some guidance from those who have made cakes this size before. I searched for existing answers, but found nothing with issues similar to my own.

And yes...I'll be having plenty of other questions about this cake in the coming weeks, so please bear with me. :) Already losing sleep over it and questioning my sanity in offering it!

Thanks so much in advance!

~ Krissi

10 replies
Girlfriendal Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 11

AI should mention that I'm just planning on two layer 4" tiers.

Burgundycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burgundycakes Posted 19 May 2013 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 11

AYou can probably do 14/12/9/6. This should feed about 160 and she can take the too tier home. This is using the Wilton serving size.

ladyhawke917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawke917 Posted 20 May 2013 , 3:23am
post #4 of 11

Google separate tiered wedding cakes for some different ideas. Mine was done that way and it was gorgeous. I had a sheer cloth wound around the table and candles and it looked elegant. It was an easy set up too.

Girlfriendal Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 11

Unfortunately the bride definitely wants a traditional stacked cake - no separated tiers.  And I know I need larger sized servings than the Wilton (and many other) charts list.  The cake is all that is being served.  I know that I don't really have many options...

I guess I was just more wondering how anyone else has dealt with a situation when the only way to make enough servings leaves you with such a large top (8").  Are 8" tops unheard of?  Or is there is some way to make a 6" not look ridiculous on top of a 14/12/10?  My only other thought had been to do a 12/10/8/6 and have an extra 12" in the back to serve...but making a whole extra cake is effort I'd rather not add.  Or maybe a batch of cupcakes intended for the children guests?  Would that be tacky?  I know most people would ask the bride these questions, but other than her requests - traditional round stacked tiers for 125 - the rest is all supposed to be a surprise for her.

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 11

I would do a 14, 11, 8, 5 and do a kitchen cake to go with it -that should be plenty.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 11

I'd do a 6/10/14.  It's a traditional spacing and looks very nice.  Serves 130.  If you need more cake, then have a kitchen cake in the back.

Girlfriendal Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:04am
post #8 of 11

AJust got the cake topper from the bride and it's huge! So I'm going to have to make the top tier an 8" anyhow to accommodate it. Guess that answered my question for me about to top tier size! So 14/12/10/8 it will be. Crazy big. Bigger than anything I've ever done before! Scary. :)

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 23 May 2013 , 2:08am
post #9 of 11

ADon't forget internal supports for the top tier if the topper is heavy.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 23 May 2013 , 3:50am
post #10 of 11

That is 172 servings, not including the top tier for them to keep.  Way more servings than needed.  Even though it is the only sweet there will still be a big dinner and drinks, not like it is the only thing they will be consuming.

Girlfriendal Posted 23 May 2013 , 5:37am
post #11 of 11

AThis is for a early afternoon reception with no (alcohol) drinks and light nibbles only. It is not a meal. I am not using the Wilton chart for sizing, I'm using Earlene's, because I wanted larger servings (and allow for seconds since there will be three different flavors.) According to her chart the cake I'm planning would serve 140. Given that I now know I need to use an 8" top tier, I can't think of another configuration that would give me at least 125 using Earlene's chart.

Thanks vgcea for the reminder about supports for the topper. It is quite heavy. I'll have to get some bubble tea straws. I've never used SPS before, but I'm going to try to use it (if I can get materials in time) for this cake based on so many recommendations on here. I had called a local cake supply shop on Monday and asked if they had SPS materials, and they said yes. I drive all the way out there tonight just to find out they have nothing and had no idea who told me they had. So now I have to hope I can order what I need in time. :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%