Fondant Ruffled

Decorating By crissiecruz Updated 25 Jun 2013 , 1:41pm by princesscakes30

crissiecruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crissiecruz Posted 19 May 2013 , 12:25pm
post #1 of 17

AI made a cake for my sons birthday , I made homemade mmf. Cake was great put the fondant on but it ruffled and overlayed at bottom of cake.I tried to reposition fondant, cut a small piece off and smoothly attach fondant pieces together it teared a small piece. I ended up just covering it with a road I had made. How can I stop this from happening again?[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3011178/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

16 replies
AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 17

this is the problem with fondant, its tempermental and a real pain to work with. i love love love mmf but i cannot for the life of me work with it. Satin Ice is the best!!! . Pleating (ruffling at the bottom) is common. I find it happens when the fondant has started to dry out to much while rolling, you need to work fast. and this comes with practice. Another possible issue is you are  rolling it too thick. try keeping it to a nice 1/4 inch thick. xx

crissiecruz Posted 19 May 2013 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 17

A@Animalgirl91 I know this may sound silly but do they have a special ruler to measure the thickness of the fondant? Remnant3333 thank you, My 4 year old loved his cake

AnimalGirl91 Posted 20 May 2013 , 10:31am
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by crissiecruz 

@Animalgirl91 I know this may sound silly but do they have a special ruler to measure the thickness of the fondant?
Remnant3333 thank you, My 4 year old loved his cake

icon_biggrin.gif there are no silly questions here!! You can get special guide rings that you slide on the rolling pin to help get a suitable even thickness

here's an example link of what you'd be looking for. http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-Fondant-20-Inch-Rolling-Guide/product-reviews/B000PCAIUA

I believe you can get different sizes to get a different thickness 

crissiecruz Posted 25 May 2013 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 17

ALol, I have the rolling pin but I always take the rings off because I feel I never have enough room for the fondant.

crissiecruz Posted 25 May 2013 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 17

AMaybe I need a longer rolling pin?

AnimalGirl91 Posted 26 May 2013 , 12:02pm
post #7 of 17

AIf you feel the rings are in the way then yes a longer rolling pin ... mines huge! Cause i cover really big cakes.

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 27 May 2013 , 5:16am
post #8 of 17

Huge rolling pins are a must ;) Big Cakes to come ;)

crissiecruz Posted 28 May 2013 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 17

AThanks so much, right now I have a 9inch. Can I use any type of rolling pin.?

AnimalGirl91 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:55pm
post #10 of 17

what brand rings do you have? id stick with the brand the rings were designed for, you may have a hard time trying to fit them correctly. 

AnimalGirl91 Posted 29 May 2013 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 17

brand/type*

crissiecruz Posted 31 May 2013 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 17

AI have wilton it comes with the pink and purple rings.

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 31 May 2013 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 17

Maybe its the way your applying the fondant? I used to do it wrong and my teacher taught me a better method.

1st don't roll it too thin -although i can roll it thin enough to see the mat underneath sometimes..but I try not to go that thin. I think it dries too quick and can crack.

Second I love MMF now anyhow and I don't use a whole bag of PS if you use too much it dries out.

Now the important part

When you lay the fondant on the cake smooth out from top down. So I use my left hand to lift the fondant that has draped and pull it up a bit kinda 45degrees. Then with my right hand I make circular motions and rub the fondant. With shortening on my fingers:) so they move freely across the fondant. Go all the way around the top one inch and then move down and inch so you are turning the cake and going down it. If that makes sense. It gets rid of drapes and keeps it from tearing.

Also if you have too much fondant draped on the table you might not have a tear while applying but it might put enough stress on a thin spot to tear later when drying. So cut the excess before molding the fondant to your cake.

Hope that helps.

Novel-T Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Novel-T Cakes Posted 1 Jun 2013 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 17

Hi

You can get spacers for rolling out evenly that look a little like a ruler, you use 2 at a time, one on each side of your fondant and you roll on top of them. Hope that helps icon_biggrin.gif

crissiecruz Posted 4 Jun 2013 , 6:02pm
post #15 of 17

AThanks smittyditty

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 10 Jun 2013 , 1:15am
post #16 of 17

Yep I find that the best way to do the fondant! Good luck in your next cake!

princesscakes30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscakes30 Posted 25 Jun 2013 , 1:41pm
post #17 of 17

You definitely need the larger rolling pin for covering cakes. The 9in one is great for accents and decorations. I use Witon's 20in rolling pin with the ring guides (that of, course you have to buy separately) for covering cakes. I sometimes wish I could find one just a bit longer than that even.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%