Gluten-Free Vegan Baking..help!!

Decorating By Baking Queen Updated 20 May 2013 , 9:09pm by Baking Queen

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 19 May 2013 , 12:34am
post #1 of 5

AHello all! I have recently been wanting to start baking again, but am intimidated to bake with ingredients that are gluten,dairy, and egg free(food allergies). If anyone would have ANY good replacers for eggs I would greatly appreciate it!! Also any tips on baking gluten free/ vegan? And how would I even attempt to bake gluten & vegan cookies?! Any tips, tricks, or advice would help me tremendously thanks so much!! :)

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:10am
post #2 of 5

AThere are many recipes online and even a few cookbooks dedicated to gluten-free and vegan baking you can use a starting point for your R&D. For gluten/egg/dairy-free cakes we typically use our gluten-free flour blend (white rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca starch, and xanthan gum) with either flaxseed or tofu as an egg replacer, and our BC frosting is made with high-ratio shortening and Earth Balance vegan margarine.

For cookies, unsweetened applesauce usually works well as an egg replacer (1/4 cup per egg).

Make sure to avoid cross-contamination in both your own baking process and the processes of your ingredients' manufacturers.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:12am
post #3 of 5

A friend of mine who is gluten free recommended the flour called "cup for cup." It's  expensive, sold at Whole Foods...but it works like regular flower and can be used in normal recipes.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:19am
post #4 of 5

ACup 4 Cup contains milk powder so it is not suitable for vegans or people with allergies to dairy. It is also made with potato starch, which can lead to a gritty texture.

Baking Queen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Queen Posted 20 May 2013 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you both for your help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%