First Ever Wedding Cake, Please Help.

Decorating By krust1607 Updated 8 Jul 2013 , 2:35pm by CWR41

krust1607 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krust1607 Posted 18 May 2013 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 14

AMy friend has asked me to make her a 3 tiered carrot wedding cake for her vintage wedding and I would really appreciate your advice. She is having a simple look so is happy to just frost the cake rather than use fondant which should be easier. I am worried about the cake not being solid enough being made of carrot and she wants several layers in each tier. I wondered about a fake bottom tier to give it some rigidity. Another friend is crocheting a lace deep border for the bottom and a big flower for the top. We thought we'd use deep ribbon around the frosting then attach the crochet to that. How can I make the frosting firmer and I'm worried it could melt?? Also what do you think of a frosted layer, then a fondant layer, then another frosted layer. Would that look all wrong? Many thanks x?

13 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 14

AWhat kind of icing do you plan on using?

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 19 May 2013 , 12:30am
post #3 of 14

Carrot cake should be nice and firm for wedding cake... Be sure to bake ahead , wrap and put plates or boards on top to firm it up.  Yes, fondant in a middle layer would be nice and good contrast but you don't want to use a cream cheese frosting under that fondant. ( but that's my opinion).

krust1607 Posted 19 May 2013 , 5:31am
post #4 of 14

AThank you for that. I was just planning to use a simple buttercream maybe with a touch of orange blossom for flavour and use an edging comb to shape it. . If I do ice it with fondant I was just thinking the soft shop bought sugar paste but am worried about managing a 16 inch one. I will have to practice on a dummy. Also I would appreciate your opinion on how long cake the can be frozen in advance and what about if the weather is hot, will it melt the buttercream. Never seen a cake done with a mixture of buttercream and soft paste layers. Does anyone have any experience of this. Thought top and bottom buttercream and an impressed pattern on middle layer. Thank you

krust1607 Posted 19 May 2013 , 5:37am
post #5 of 14

AAlso is it possible to freeze the cake tiers already sliced and frosted together with a thin covering layer of frosting to hold it all together or should I just freeze it plain? Opinions on pineapple in carrot cake would also be appreciated. Planning on using cinnamon, ginger, sultanas and orange zest for flavour. Thanks again.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 21 May 2013 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 14

I use pineapple in my carrot cake, your spices sound wonderful.  I would crumb coat and put filling in and then freeze it.  On occasion I have frozen carrot cake for 2 months well wrapped and it is fine.  However  be sure to unwrap and let it breath so a lot of moisture doesn't form on cake.  Buttercream is as good but humidity and heat will affect any icing.  I have discovered while I hate using shortening you really need it in frosting to hold up to the heat.  So I use 40-50% butter and 60-50% high ratio shortening.  I have come to realize how great this high ratio is to keep my frosting firm.  Hope you can get this it is worth the bit extra you have to pay.

krust1607 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 14

AThat sounds like great advice, thank you.

krust1607 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 14

AAny ideas where you an by high ratio shortening in the UK. Thanks

krust1607 Posted 21 May 2013 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 14

ABy frosting I mean buttercream. Would you use high ratio shortening in this to keep it firm?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 21 May 2013 , 8:19pm
post #10 of 14

AI'm not sure if you can buy from here or not.

www.bakemark.co.uk/site/products/default.asp?cat=7

krust1607 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:24pm
post #11 of 14

AHello. Please could you help me once again. I have made my carrot cake wedding cake and it is in the freezer. I opted for a 10, 8, 6, & 4 " round cakes about 4 inches deep because I wanted height rather than a squat looking cake. Now worried there won't be enough. It needs to feed about 120??

Next problem is I need to make a nice biscuit coloured buttercream. I have bought caramel sugar craft paste but it is too yellowy, do you think adding a touch of brown will correct this.

Final question. I have some homemade pineapple jam to go in between the layers with buttercream, but the consistency is quite runny and it soaks into the cake making it claggy. I was wondering about sandwiching the jam between a top and bottom layer of buttercream, so as to waterproof the cake, but I'm worried it will mix with the buttercream and make a slimy sliding mess. Please help. Thank you. I could just ditch the jam or buy some but seems a shame.

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 14

With those sizes you will be short on servings.

You can put your jam over buttercream. When I use fruit fillings, I do a thin layer of ganache or BC, fruit/jam, ganache or BC.

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 14
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jul 2013 , 2:35pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krust1607 

I opted for a 10, 8, 6, & 4 " round cakes about 4 inches deep because I wanted height rather than a squat looking cake. Now worried there won't be enough. It needs to feed about 120??

It only serves 80.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%