oschneiderfritz Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:32pm
post #1 of

AI need to know if there is nuts in vanilla or almond extracts? Also with using ingredients for making buttercream frosting. Thanks

7 replies
shanter Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:37pm
post #2 of

The ingredients labels on the extracts should tell you. I don't think vanilla has nuts. Almond extract does, but there is an imitation almond extract that doesn't. What ingredients for making buttercream would possibly have nuts?

kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:51pm
post #3 of

AI personally hate almond flavoring in buttercream but that's just my taste

jason_kraft Posted 18 May 2013 , 10:02pm
post #4 of

AIt's possible that the extracts could be contaminated with nuts, you would need to contact the mfr to confirm.

shanter Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:15am
post #5 of

Aren't labels required now to say "made in a facility that processes nuts" if there's even the slightest possibility they could cross-contaminate?

jason_kraft Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:22am
post #6 of

A

Original message sent by shanter

Aren't labels required now to say "made in a facility that processes nuts" if there's even the slightest possibility they could cross-contaminate?

Nope, you are only required to list the common name of any of the top 8 allergens in the ingredients if the allergen is in your product. Food allergy groups are working on making the cross-contamination warnings required, as of right now they are entirely voluntary.

AAtKT Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:38am
post #7 of

I always have the cross contamination warning on... It is a standard part of my labels... just because I didn't use say peanuts in my recipe, doesn't mean that I don't use peanuts in my kitchen... Then again, I try my best to err on the side of caution...

Smallfrye Posted 19 May 2013 , 4:03am
post #8 of

McCormick brand almond flavoring is made out of almond bitter which is made from peach or apricot kernels/pits. They are very helpful if you call and ask them 1-800-632-5847. I would call them and ask. Hope that helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%