How Do I Smooth Buttercream After It's Been Refrigerated?

Decorating By TashaMcMullen Updated 20 May 2013 , 5:15pm by AZCouture

TashaMcMullen Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have tried using the "Viva" towel method, hot tools, and was wondering if anyone else has any tips/tricks to get the sides of a cake smooth. Mine looks like a spackled wall right now :(

7 replies
kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 8

AI might be wrong but I believe once a buttercream has crusted there isn't much that you can do to smooth it out except treat that as a crumb coat and make more buttercream and ice over the cake than let it sit on the counter until lightly crusted than use a viva paper towel to smooth it out.

Baking Me Crazy Posted 18 May 2013 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 8

dip a spatula in hot water.. make sure to shake off the excess water.. then go over the buttercream. That usually works for me.

sherox Posted 19 May 2013 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 8

AI agree with the sptula in the hot water ...works for me.

CreationsbyNicole Posted 20 May 2013 , 2:54am
post #5 of 8

I actually dip my whole scraper in boiling water/wipe and go over the cake that way.  I use the spatula sometimes but I seem to leave new marks where the edges of the spatula were.  When I use the scraper I seem to get a more consistent texture. 

sherox Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 8

A

Original message sent by CreationsbyNicole

I actually dip my whole scraper in boiling water/wipe and go over the cake that way.  I use the spatula sometimes but I seem to leave new marks where the edges of the spatula were.  When I use the scraper I seem to get a more consistent texture. 

Going to definitely try this next time!:smile: thank you!

sherox Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 8

A

Original message sent by CreationsbyNicole

Going to definitely try this next time!:smile: thank you!

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2013 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 8

Yep, get thee a scraper. Hope it turned out ok. ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%