My First Wedding Cake. Help

Decorating By oschneiderfritz Updated 21 May 2013 , 10:51pm by pinkfluffylove

oschneiderfritz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oschneiderfritz Posted 18 May 2013 , 4:32am
post #1 of 14

AI got signed up for my best friends wedding cake. She wants either a 3 or a 4 tiered cake, she wants a white cake with raspberry filling. Wants it simple but elegant. Covered in fondant the color of Tiffany blue with lace on the base of each tier. With real flowers. I need help in every part.. I'm just a hobby baker.. HELP.. Very much appreciated

13 replies
AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 18 May 2013 , 5:58am
post #2 of 14

Just a small word of advise and i mean this with kindness, dont take a job unless you're absolutly confident in your ability. Especially for a wedding.

Now, What parts can and cant you do? obviously you can bake, can you cover a cake in fondant? do you know how to stack a tiered cake? Is the lace design whats got you stuck? 

Break it down and tell me where excactly you need help. xxx 

oschneiderfritz Posted 18 May 2013 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 14

AI know how to cover a cake in fondant. I'm needing help on how to tier it. A lot of what I've read and friends that have done tiered cakes, they say to use a fake cake for the middle cake... I would rather not use a fake cake... Need to know all supplies needed ect. Thanks a bunch

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 14

I agree with the advice you have already been given.  I did a friend's wedding cake back when I just started decorating, and I thought it would be easy since I technically knew everything I needed to know.  But when it came time to actually do it, it was way more work than I could have expected.  I was stressed, frustrated, and the cake did not turn out as expected.  It still looked nice, but it was not exactly what my friend had wanted (though she was very nice not to say anything about it) and I still feel badly about it even though it was years ago :(

Not saying you can't do it, but I strongly suggest doing a full trial run long before the day to make sure you know what you're getting yourself into.  If I had done that at the time, I really would have turned it down.  Now is a different story, but just starting is a whole different ballgame. 

oschneiderfritz Posted 18 May 2013 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 14

AI have been practicing a ton... Just need to know supplies and direction on how to tier a 4 tiered cake. Thank you

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 14

ADo a search on stacking a tiered cake and you will find lots of videos. Basically you need sturdy boards in between each tier which the cake rests on and a support system to take the weight of the tier(s) above. The method depends on the stacking system you are using...In the US they seem to use a lot of interlocking plate systems which I have never seen/used so can't comment. I (uk based) have always just used dowels which you cut to a tinsey bit taller than the cake and then push them in - they take the weight of each tier above. I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult but you do have to do it right otherwise you can easily end up with wonky cakes which can also be unstable. Do some research and see what is available where you are. You want to consider how the cake will be transported to the venue as well when you decide.

My first stacked cake was a wedding cake for a friend who was working to a really tight budget and asked if I could help out because I made 'tastey cakes'! I wanted to help out but was terrified and my partner was the best man so I couldn't really disappear if it went pear shaped either ;-) ...in the end, all went superbly well and i got such a buzz listening to people talking about it (not knowing I did it). So if you are comfortable, give it a shot but work out how long you think it will take and then tripple it and plan well ahead! I am certain you will need it!!

Good luck! Xx

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 14

AI would put the cake together at the venue site because it gets heavy

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=bawdeAmPbr4&feature=related

There are tons of videos on how to tier a cake just Google how to tier a cake utube

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:25pm
post #8 of 14

You need lots of help :)  I agree w/the others that it is going to take much longer than you plan to finish this task.  You can start baking and making icing now and freeze.  That will take a little of the pressure off.

If you can afford the SPSystem I highly suggest it.  If not, you 1st need to know how many servings they want to determine what size cakes to bake.  Yes, fondant can be made unless you have already made some and know how - I suggest you buy ready made.  There are many, many videos on YouTube to study for putting together a stacked cake.  If the design allows, I suggest stacking on site.  Yes, it takes time but there is much less chance of any problems transporting.  Two of the MOST important things for a cake to remain standing are that each tier is perfectly level and the support dowels are also.

TheBookLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBookLady Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 14

I did my first wedding cake years ago and quickly took a course, for I knew how to bake and that was why I was asked, but NOT a wedding cake ... it all turned out well and actually turned into a side business that now is a 'free' business for the most part. I am in the process of making a wedding cake for 200 next month for a dear friend's daughter who died very suddenly two years ago. The bride wants to tiers stacked and I usually put the tiers on separate plates with tall posts and thus space in between which allows for more decorating space and a prettier piece of cake when served, however, I am determined to do what is asked and the stacked ones seem to be what it being seem these days.

I will be baking at my home as usual and then transporting, so I usually 'build' the cake on site and therefore do not want to build the layers and then transport, too risky. I have just stumbled into the "Stress Free Cake Supports" but do find them a bit pricey and am wondering what folks think of them. I clearly will do whatever is needed for this particular cake.

Any thoughts anyone??? I did read the one lady from the UK saying that doles are just as good.

Many thanks

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 14

......... just stumbled into the "Stress Free Cake Supports" but do find them a bit pricey and am wondering what folks think of them. I clearly will do whatever is needed for this particular cake........Any thoughts anyone??? I did read ....that doles are just as good......

For only a 2 or even 3 tier cake yes, dowels are just as good.  Way back in the 'olden days' when I started in this business (30+ yrs.)  that's all we had to use and 1000s of wedding cakes were made using them.  The trick is making *SURE!* that you cut one dowel per tier to the height of that tier (just slightly shorter actually), then cut the rest used in that tier the exact same size.  Make doubly sure you cut it straight.  DO NOT cut each dowel the the heigth of the tier as the tier might not be perfectly level. 

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 18 May 2013 , 9:54pm
post #11 of 14

AHehe, back in the old days! I'm only 25 and everyone says its the way to go still...if it ain't broke :-) Quick question though, would cutting them shorter not squash (and therefor slightly distort) the icing? Even if it is just a tiny bit? I was always taught to go a tiny bit bigger for this reason (which made sense to me!) so would be grateful for some insight...I get the impression you have don't many many of these cakes! Thanks in advance x

AnimalGirl91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnimalGirl91 Posted 19 May 2013 , 3:18am
post #12 of 14

AThink you have been given lots off good advise. A dummy cake in the middle isn't necessary, a cake board under each tier and dowl rods in the tier underneath will support it fine. deffinatly assemble at the venue. There are lots of great YouTube videos you can watch.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 May 2013 , 4:49pm
post #13 of 14
pinkfluffylove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffylove Posted 21 May 2013 , 10:51pm
post #14 of 14

AIf you can royal ice you could ice the lace on the cake, or use royal icing over a stencil then you could dust that, looks beautiful but practice first on a left over piece of fondant, and ALWAYS check that the flowers you are putting on the cake are not poisonous, there is a list on sugar guild (uk) good luck im sure it will be beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%