Uncooked/doughey Cake

Decorating By Jennifer204 Updated 19 May 2013 , 1:26am by Jennifer204

Jennifer204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer204 Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hi guys, I wonder if someone can please help me figure out what I:m doing wrong with my baking.  I  know the pic below purely looks like this cake is undercooked, but what I don't understand is that I checked this cake several times towards the end of the baking time & although its only a 6" vanilla sour cream cake it took well over an hour to cook & when I first checked, the top had cracked & the middle was still uncooked!   I do use homemade baking strips when cooking a bigger cake, mainly if they are mud cakes, but for a cake this size I really didn;t think it was necessary..maybe thats incorrect?  I checked the cake several times further before my flat bladed knife came out completely clean (also checked in several different area of the cake not just one) After cutting off the top cracked part (which did look slightly undercooked/doughey) as  you can see from the attached picture, the middle is definitely still undercooked/doughey.  So annoying, what am I doing wrong? Do any of  you experienced bakers out there think this could actually be more to do with the mixing of the batter rather than the cooking method?  This has happened to me a couple of times now & I' really beginning to feel like giving up (although have baked perfectly good cakes in the past!) So really not sure whats going on:((  I do use an oven thermometer by the way in case oven not very accurate & cooked this cake at 150d.  Any advice would be more than welcome.  Thanks guys.

AppleMark

9 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 10

AUmmm... Is that 150° Fahrenheit or Celsius? Also, it sounds like your cake is just too wet to begin with. Could you post your recipe?

Jennifer204 Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 10

Hi Anna...its 150C.  The recipe is for the Lemon Sour Cream Cake (but I replaced with vanilla bean paste & halved this recipe from a 9" for the 6" as was only trialling it for family at this stage (which sounds like a good idea with my baking successes at the momement!)

so recipe for 9" as follows:

250gms butter

2 tbls grated lemon rind

2 cups(440gms) caster sugar

6 eggs

2 cups(330gms) plain flour

1/4 cup (180gms) SR flour

3/4 cup (180gms) sour cream at room temp

Recipe states that for this amount of batter for a 9" pan, baking time approx 1hr 25 mins (which my little 6" virtually took!)

eatmycakebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatmycakebaby Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 10

I had a cake to do this once and come to find out I was adding to much baking powder. Also sometimes your baking powder could be old.  So I would start by checking the date on the baking powder or soda and than make sure I am adding the right amount.  Good luck and dont give up somedays in baking are heaven sent and others are just Ummmm................. I dont even have a word for it icon_sad.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 May 2013 , 12:03am
post #5 of 10

ADid you make a division error, perhaps? And honestly, I don't like the looks of a cake recipe that doesn't have the leavening listed is measurable amounts, just self rising flour weirdos me out.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 18 May 2013 , 2:29am
post #6 of 10
2 cups plain flour = 300g not 330g
1/4 cup SR flour = 35g NOT 180g

Recheck your recipe ingredient amounts: http://aww.ninemsn.com/food/1079147/lemon-sour-cream-cake

It is a mixing problem not a baking problem. Make sure that you cream your butter with the sugar for 5-8 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated, before adding the next one ... When stirring in the flours and cream, make sure that they are well distributed without deflating the mixture.
lbasile27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lbasile27 Posted 18 May 2013 , 3:03am
post #7 of 10

There may be too many eggs in the recipe. I had cupcakes look like that once when I used larger eggs than normal, and 6 eggs seems like a lot for a 6 inch cake.

Jennifer204 Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:15am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer204 

Hi Anna...its 150C.  The recipe is for the Lemon Sour Cream Cake (but I replaced with vanilla bean paste & halved this recipe from a 9" for the 6" as was only trialling it for family at this stage (which sounds like a good idea with my baking successes at the momement!)

so recipe for 9" as follows:

250gms butter

2 tbls grated lemon rind

2 cups(440gms) caster sugar

6 eggs

2 cups(330gms) plain flour

1/4 cup (180gms) SR flour

3/4 cup (180gms) sour cream at room temp

Recipe states that for this amount of batter for a 9" pan, baking time approx 1hr 25 mins (which my little 6" virtually took!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmycakebaby 

I had a cake to do this once and come to find out I was adding to much baking powder. Also sometimes your baking powder could be old.  So I would start by checking the date on the baking powder or soda and than make sure I am adding the right amount.  Good luck and dont give up somedays in baking are heaven sent and others are just Ummmm................. I dont even have a word for it icon_sad.gif

Hi There, good advice but there was no baking powder in this recipe, so that couldnt have been the problem.

Jennifer204 Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:19am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi 

2 cups plain flour = 300g not 330g
1/4 cup SR flour = 35g NOT 180g

Recheck your recipe ingredient amounts: http://aww.ninemsn.com/food/1079147/lemon-sour-cream-cake

It is a mixing problem not a baking problem. Make sure that you cream your butter with the sugar for 5-8 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the eggs, one at a time, until completely incorporated, before adding the next one ... When stirring in the flours and cream, make sure that they are well distributed without deflating the mixture.

Hi Auzzie, glad that someone's on the ball :)  I have absolutely no idea where my gram amounts came from & definitely know this was a typo on my part.  I halved all the ingredients & yes remember doing 150gms of plain etc.,..so although I very stupidly typed the incorrect gram amounts in here icon_redface.gif I know I did actually halve them from the correct amounts.  I actually added vanilla bean paste to the butter & sugar, do you think that could have been it?  Thanks for your input.

Jennifer204 Posted 19 May 2013 , 1:26am
post #10 of 10

Hi There, thanks for the suggestion but I did halve all the ingredients as original recipe is for a 9" cake, so only 3 eggs used (at least I got that bit right!)  Thanks for your input anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%