First Wedding Cake...advice Please!

Decorating By ambermezzo Updated 17 May 2013 , 8:14pm by ambermezzo

ambermezzo Posted 17 May 2013 , 11:59am
post #1 of 3

AI am an amateur baker but offered to do a wedding cake for a friend. Because there are SO MANY new techniques I'm doing, I was hoping to get some feedback/ advice from you guys. So here's the plan:

I'm doing a 3 tier stacked topsy turvy cake in 12", 9", and 6". 3 layers of each, then carved. The base will be a glass microwave oven plate (ugh, I know, but that's what they gave me). Will that be strong enough? I'm worried about the support system, but here's what I've gathered from posts on here: I wil use 5 wooden dowels in each of the bottom 2 layers, with 2 cardboard circles, corrugated sides together and wrapped in tin foil. My fondants are white and black. I made the black last night by adding cocoa powder to the sugar, then dying it with a LOT of Americolor black. It still looks a little brown, so I'm concerned. Also, the texture seems off so I'm thinking it might not roll well. I will be painting white on black, and black on white. I'm planning on mixing a little vodka with gel color and painting with that. Are there ratios I should know for this, or a better way? Also made gumpaste roses on wires, and was thinking of dipping the wires in chocolate before inserting in the cake so it doesn't touch. How long should I cut the wires? Last, I'm a bit freaked out about transport. I have to drive it for two hours in a minivan. I'm thinking, a box on top of a yoga mat, wedges between comforters so it doesnt move around. Maybe tape some dowels to the inside bottom of the box around the plate to secure too. I guess I will just cut a door in one side of the box so it can be slid into and out of the box in the car.

This cake is for tomorrow...and I did no practice run. Any help would be MUCH appreciated!!

2 replies
Crazy-Gray Posted 17 May 2013 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 3

Glass plate:

I don't know if it will be stong enough; but consider what will happen if it isn't; broken glass in cake- not good! I'd get a drum board if you've time and cover it in white with black ribbon.

Support system:

Your support system sounds ok; I find bubble tea straws are easier to cut to length so if you've time to get some wide straws they would be better- it can be hard to get dowels all exactly the same length. Also if you can get foamcore instead of cardboard its stronger. if using card you can strengthen it bu poking long bamboo skewers down the corrugated bit; works wonders!

Black fonadant:

with the cake due tomorrow you migh be better buying precoloured black to save you the stress of getting it black enough; black needs time to 'mature' afer colouring; try adding more colour and if your not happy right away ditch it and buy some or you'll run out of time for everything else!

Hand painting:

in a glass or cup or plate.... put a splodge of colour and add a teaspoon of vodka; dont mix it just work the two together with the brush in one spot so you can add a little more Vodka if needed or if its too thin mix in more colour. black on white I find is easier colouring cocoa butter with powder colour as you can scrape off mistakes and it leaves mo marks; you will find gell colour very unforgiving so keep scraps of icing beside you to test on before you put brush to cake.

I's not bother with the choc it'll just break when you poke the wire in; better to insert a thin straw and then insert the wire into the sraw. make them as long as you can; longer = stronger and you've a long trip so best be safe (tho I'm about to suggest assembling on site so maybe just leave the roses aside for now and put them on when you arrive at the venue

if you're not confident transporting it take in three seperate boxes and stack it when you get there, it'll make the journey much less stressful for you.

Good luck!

ambermezzo Posted 17 May 2013 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 3

AThanks! I will definitely take all of that into account. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%