Least Chewy (Or Non Chewy If Possible) Fondant Brand Or Recipe

Decorating By liz at sugar Updated 18 May 2013 , 7:18pm by jennicake

liz at sugar Posted 17 May 2013 , 2:37am
post #1 of 8

Looking for the least offensive fondant recipe or brand.  I do not like the "chewiness" of fondant - it is a real turnoff.  I've made marshmallow fondant and am completely unimpressed.  When you are eating it it feels like you are chewing gum that can't really be chewed.


Give me your suggestions of best recipes or preferred brands that don't require chewing aside from the base they are placed on (cake or cookie).  Thanks!



7 replies
jennicake Posted 17 May 2013 , 3:22am
post #2 of 8

Michele Foster's fondant recipe!  It's on this site in the recipe section.  I have a bad tendency to snack on this while I decorate because it tastes so good and just melts in your mouth

liz at sugar Posted 17 May 2013 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 8

Is that recipe gelatin based?  Those seems to get better "mouth feel" reviews. ::)



scrumdiddlycakes Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 8



I use Carmas massa tropic 99% of the time, the other 1% is when someone decides they need MMF because Suzy-so-and-so told them it tasted like heaven, lol. (I don't like the sweetness)

Carmas isn't very sweet, tastes great, and is by far the easiest fondant I have ever worked with. It costs a lot more than making your own though.

liz at sugar Posted 17 May 2013 , 1:33pm
post #5 of 8

Scrumdiddlycakes - How do you like the mouthfeel of the Carma Massa Ticino Tropic?  I would be using it on cookies, so peeling it off isn't really an option.  Thank you.



maybenot Posted 18 May 2013 , 4:19am
post #6 of 8

Any fondant will be less "chewy" when it's rolled to a proper thinness.


I use FondX quite a bit, including for cookies, and rolled to about 1/8", it isn't in the least bit chewy.

liz at sugar Posted 18 May 2013 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you to everyone - I've made decorations out of it to accent buttercream and glace decorated sugar cookies and to me it felt like a flat piece of gum added to the top of the cookie.  And it was rolled out to 1/8" or less.  Maybe when you add it directly to a hot cookie so it kind of melts in place, it doesn't seem as chewy.


I'll try some of the recommended brands, as well as the gelatin based recipes.



jennicake Posted 18 May 2013 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 8

AI think the best thing to do is start with a gelatin based recipe and play with the amount of gelatin in it until you get a texture that is still usable as fondant, but doesn't feel chewy to you. Takes some trial and error for sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%