Help With 2 Questions, Please

Decorating By dawnybird Updated 16 May 2013 , 12:15am by dawnybird

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 May 2013 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 6

My DIL is graduating from nursing school and I want to make her of of the typical "scrubs shirt" cakes with all of the accoutrements of the profession. I've already made the gumpaste decorations, but here are my questions:

1. I'm starting with a half-sheet pan. Should I carve it to get the "sleeves" or should the sleeves be extra pieces of cake added on. It seems like I would lose a lot of cake if I carve.

2. I've only covered a few cakes with fondant, and then only round ones. I'm not that good at it yet. I've never covered an odd-shaped cake. Any tips or suggestions that would make it easier? I've watched video tutorials of covering a square cake but can't find one for odd shapes.

Thanks so much!

5 replies
dawnybird Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

Won't anyone help me out here? Please?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

Seems to me that one answer to question no. 1 would be "Yes." That is to say, carve away cake to get the beginnings of the sleeves, and then extend them with pieces carved from what you took off.

As to fondant, you already know more about it than I do.

Be patient. Somebody who actually has experience with this sort of thing is bound to notice you in time to make a difference.

granbea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
granbea Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:00am
post #4 of 6

I use the clear plastic from Walmart to roll out fondant.  With that you can roll out any shape

and not worry about tears.  ( got this from Earlene Moore video)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:04am
post #5 of 6

AI know it can be frustrating, but sometimes you have to be patient. Some of us are baking & decorating. 3 hours isn't terribly long.

Original message sent by hbquikcomjamesl

Be patient. Somebody who actually has experience with this sort of thing is bound to notice you in time to make a difference.

I've made a few jersey cakes. You can see one in my gallery. I prefer to carve them. Remember that you'll want a bit of an exaggeration. Details get softened (sometimes lost) once covered in fondant.

I also use a hump of cake to kind of build up shoulders and back. I use rolls of fondant to make wrinkles.

When you go to cover, smooth the areas with points first. I start with arms then work my way to the bottom.

dawnybird Posted 16 May 2013 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for your replies. DeliciousDesserts, those were some really helpful suggestions! Why should I be patient? You guys should be sitting at your computers waiting to come to my aid at all times! hahaha! Just joking! Sorry I got antsy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%