Favorite Cocoa

Business By Andrea0730 Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:15am by kikiandkyle

Andrea0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea0730 Posted 15 May 2013 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

What is your favorite brand of cocoa (natural and dutch), why do you like them, and who do you get it through? I am looking to switch brands and need some reliable recommendations. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 6

hershey's special dark works great for me

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 15 May 2013 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 6

i just posted in another cocoa thread, so here is it again icon_wink.gif

i like e.guittard cocoa rouge for my cocoa for basic cakes.  i will go all Valrhona sometimes, but will also blend the two for a bit of cost savings (half and half).  I like the slightly bitter note that the straight Valrhona offers and it works well with some fillings better than others.  I don't use a natural cocoa and will make compensations for recipes that call for natural cocoa by adding an extra acid to the recipe.  I also like Cacao Barry Extra Brute but i find that the Cocoa Rouge is comparable and at a better price with less of a travel footprint.  

I get the cocoas through wholesale accounts from speciality food distributers.  I've been lucky in being able to do this without meeting a minimum order by doing will call when my husband travels to phoenix and by piggybacking onto the order a friend makes regularly with an European Import distributer.  There is no way I would be able to work out the price with those products without a wholesale price.  There is also a Restaurant Depot in town now, so i could get Callebeaut cocoa and chocolate products there.  Having that Fed Tax Id number makes all the difference! 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:03am
post #4 of 6

Penzey's thumbs_up.gif

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

I like Hershey's, it is simple and inexpensive, but does the job.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:15am
post #6 of 6

AI use a mixture of Ghirardelli and the Hershey's special dark.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%