Support System Panic

Decorating By KSMill Updated 16 May 2013 , 1:40am by CWR41

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 15 May 2013 , 5:32am
post #1 of 5

Hi all!  I would appreciate any input or advice you may have.  I've made wedding cakes before, the tallest being a 7 tier.  Anyway, because of the limits of my own strength, I always stack on site.  I'm making my niece's cake this weekend and am more nervous than I've been in a long time.  It's a 7 tier square cake (actually 8, but two of the tiers are only 1 layer).  The bottom tier is a cake dummy because of the actually guest count.  I've inserted 9 1/2" dowels in the cake dummy and now that it's covered in fondant am worried that I didn't put enough dowels in to support the rest of the cake.  Normally I use the Wilton Hidden Pillars which are pretty strong in the cake layers, I'm just not as familiar with the dowels and since these are thicker than I normally see being used in cake, I'm hoping they will be strong enough.  Any advice?

Thank you!

4 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 15 May 2013 , 12:46pm
post #2 of 5

ADon't worry; it should be fine

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill 

I've inserted 9 1/2" dowels in the cake dummy ...

Dummies don't need any dowels.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 15 May 2013 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 5

My concern was because there will be so many tiers (7) on top of the dummy.  That's why I put dowel rods in the dummy.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 May 2013 , 1:40am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill 

My concern was because there will be so many tiers (7) on top of the dummy.  That's why I put dowel rods in the dummy.

You can stand on a dummy -- still... no dowels necessary.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%