Cake Pop Coating

Baking By rcowens Updated 15 May 2013 , 2:37pm by rcowens

rcowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcowens Posted 14 May 2013 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 4

I am making cake pops for the first time and wanted to see what was the best way to coat the cake pop.  I have seen different suggestions: melted icing, chococlate, candy coating, etc.  I wanted to see which will give me the smoothest finish and allow me to decorate, I am making a nurse cake pop.  Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

3 replies
psgodusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psgodusa Posted 14 May 2013 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 4

Candy melts are good, for more smooth finish be sure to add veg oil or Crisco to the melts once they have melted fully and the mixture is still warm. This makes the mix more thinner and the coating smooth.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 14 May 2013 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 4

I have used melted candy coating with good results. Just freeze the pops for a bit (15min or so) before you dip, otherwise when dipping, your cakeball tends to deform because of the hot coating. You can also use a powdered coating, like cocoa, powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, etc. But I like the candy/chocolate coating best since it seems to keep it fresh longer (and better for decorating). :)

If you're using sticks (lollipop sticks, blunt skewers, etc.) dip that into the coating before putting it in the pop, it helps it stick better! My favorite site for cakepops is Bakerella's blog (bakerella.com).

rcowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rcowens Posted 15 May 2013 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

AThank you for the advise and tips. I will make a sample batch this weekend, so cross your fingers :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%