Dragon Cake

Decorating By Beasia Updated 23 May 2013 , 12:56pm by Crazy-Gray

Beasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beasia Posted 14 May 2013 , 10:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me? I am doing a Big Dragon Cake with 7 heads and not sure where do i start? anyone has ideas? I would really, really appriciate any help

Thank you*** and here is a picture

4 replies
thebrat68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beasia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beasia Posted 14 May 2013 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, thank you for reply, however i need to do it something like attached pictures... but thanks, it is nice to see there are people who care ;)

DORI2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DORI2000 Posted 23 May 2013 , 11:15am
post #4 of 5

Hy,

I made a Dragon with only one head: HOW TO MAKE A DRAGON CAKE

Your pictures are great. Hope some day I will be able to do a cake like that one in your pictures.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 23 May 2013 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 5

You won't find a tutorial for that specific cake- you are going to have to get creative! It's going to be a fabulous project though!

I would suggest making a template for how big you want your dragons body to be so that you can work on the scale of your heads well in advance as they are going to take you several hours each.

Put the template on your bare cake board and plan plan plan! First get some strong wire (maybe 18 or 16 gauge), drill a small hole in your cake drum and jab 7 wires in, play around bending them till you get the shape you want.

Now coil more and more wire round each (20+ gauge is pretty easy to coil by hand) until they're really thick and strong; they need to be strong enough not to bend under the weight of your modelling medium (I'd suggest modelling chocolate personally).

At this point you should permanently attach your wires to the board with glue, if they move around a lot you may have to wire the necks tightly together and create a support structure at their base; wire in dowels going diagonally down from the knot of necks to the board and cover with GP or even something more permanent like oven bake clay… you could disassemble the structure to do one head at a time but I think putting them back together will be a nightmare and they’ll prob fall off during transport as they’re gonna be heavy! I would do them all at once.

Now it’s modelling time; tightly squeeze some modelling choc on over the wires, do some basic shaping and then let it set up overnight then carve away and sculpt as you want, if you are over hacky or a bit breaks off just smoosh some more on, let it set and on you go again. You can do all of this weeks in advance so you’re not rushing it after making the cake part.

Then all that’s left is to make you cake, carve it and cover it then slide it in place. You can cover the join with some extra fondant/Modelling choc.

I think you’re gonna be very proud of this cake!

Best of luck :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%