Guitar Cake--Help!

Decorating By Paiglyn Updated 14 May 2013 , 9:15am by cookie-baerbel

Paiglyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paiglyn Posted 13 May 2013 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all; 
I have been asked to do a guitar cake and am wondering how some of you (who have tackled guitar cakes) have done the neck of the guitar. What material do you use (gum paste?)? I'm not sure how to support the neck when it is in the cake...any tips? I'd appreciate any feedback...thanks so much! Wendy

4 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 14 May 2013 , 3:56am
post #2 of 5

Just a suggestion only. I have done only guitar cakes in the wiltons pans. if I had to do an electric guitar. I will cut out a guitar shaped board in plywood, mdf, etc. and build my cake on that. that should support the neck. you should find templates on the internet.

shebysuz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebysuz Posted 14 May 2013 , 4:32am
post #3 of 5

AMichael's sells long, thin, lightweight pieces of wood used for hobbies. It is soft enough to score with an exacto knife and snap off where you need to cut it to size.You can use that as your base for the neck of the guitar and cover that with fondant.

Nixacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nixacakelady Posted 14 May 2013 , 5:51am
post #4 of 5

I've made several guitar cakes over the years. I don't even try to use cake in the neck. I make the body of the guitar cake and the neck out of Styrofoam. I keep a pattern for the neck and one for the body. You can design several types of guitars,

I cut and sand the neck to resemble the real deal. Cover it with fondant making sure the seams are on the bottom. Depending on the style you can make it as real as the real guitar. I do a lot of hand painting.

I place the entire cake and neck on a long stable board. (I use MDF board). When it's time to do the strings I don't pipe on the strings. I found that you can stretch silver embroidery string from small 1/32" dowels that you put in the neck to the base. Just like a real guitar.

Hope that helps.

Larry

Cameo Cakes, Nixa Missouri

cookie-baerbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie-baerbel Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:13am
post #5 of 5

Hey Wendy,

i used cake for the neck of my guitar, because i did use a sheetcake and then just cut the body of the guitar out. that left me with a rest of cake with the length of my baking tray. perfect size for the neck.

you need to make the cake neck thinner (more slim) than you think, so that with the extra frosting and fondant the neck does not get to thick. it just won´t look right then.

if you want a I can draw you a little sketch for cutting and send it to you for visualising.

I´m sure you will make a great guitar!

happy baking :)

i made this cake (sacher with choclate ganache) for my boyfriends birthday to match the guitar he bought. one to play and one to eat...

Bärbel

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%