Mmf....

Decorating By skyy815 Updated 17 May 2013 , 10:29pm by jstamoore

skyy815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skyy815 Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:29am
post #1 of 6

hi! I just made my first batch of MMF yesterday! I was just wondering if anyone has had trouble with it pulling apart while kneading it.  I kept adding shortening while I was kneading it and after about 10 min. I got it to where I was comfortable rolling it out. It didnt turn out to bad but my rolling pin kept trying to stick to it even after I dusted the mmf with powdered sugar. does anyone have any similar problems and if youve figured out how to prevent this please let me in on your secrets! :-D Thanks so much.  heres the final cake that I did with it...

Bottom cake is French Vanilla with chocolate ganache and red raspberry filling. Top cake is Cherry Chip with buttercream filling. Cakes are covered with MMF. Flowers are made from store bought fondant.

5 replies
bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:51am
post #2 of 6

give this a try it looks like it will work great

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:50am
post #3 of 6

ABy the sound of it, you didn't let it sit before rolling out. I don't make mmf, but i use another homemade recipe. I usually make my fondant 3 days in advance to let it mature. Mine is usually so sticky right after I make it, no way if be able to roll it out.

You did a really nice job on your first cake!

sweettooth622 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth622 Posted 17 May 2013 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 6

AWhen I first started making it I too used powder sugar on my counter and rolling pin, but had problems with it sticking, so I switched to using corn starch and that's worked SO much better.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 17 May 2013 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 6

I make MMF all the time, I have never used the store bought kind. When making it, it is very sticky and pulls apart until it all comes together.  I usually make mine and put it into a ball, spread a thin layer of crisco over the outside, wrap in plastic wrap and then put into a freezer bag and pop in the fridge till I use it.  It then has to sit to get room temp to roll when I use it.  When I roll it out though, there are times it sticks, I just put a good layer of crisco down on my counter and I'm usually good.  If it sticks to the rolling pin, I just use a small amount of crisco to rub over the top of the MMF.  I made a batch last night and used it about an hour after making it and it was fine, no sticking at all!  After you are done, don't forget you can pop it into the freezer to keep! icon_wink.gif

jstamoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstamoore Posted 17 May 2013 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 6

I wrap it up tight and let it sit for at least a day.  I knead in a few drops of glycerin if the MMF seems to be tearing apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%