Sizes Of Cake Boards? Not Big Enough?

Decorating By BeesKnees578 Updated 17 Jul 2014 , 12:29pm by CakeMonster14

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:25am
post #1 of 13

I have been making cakes since 2003.  I have run into this all the time and I don't have one clue as to why I am just asking now for a possible solution to my common problem.  I normally just deal with it and hate it every time.  And no, I am not up for cutting my own boards...

This weekend, I had two orders for fondant cakes.  Thankfully they were fondant...because of my cake board.

Sometimes - and I am sure it just depends on the brand that I am using because I sometimes by Sunshine Bakery, Wilton, some other store brand, or my local cake supply shop brand - the board for a 9" cake is JUST the same size as the baked cake with no room left around the edges for icing, or just a touch bigger than the baked cake leaving enough space for a thin layer of icing but the cake shows through, or some are so much bigger it's enough for almost 1/2" of icing all around.  VERY RARELY do I find the right ones that have just the right amount of space all around for a nice coat of buttercream.

Anyone have a tried and true brand that leaves a nice amount of space to use as your icing guide?

Thanks and I hope I explained this correctly??!!

12 replies
bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:55am
post #2 of 13

I have been buying wilton boards and have no trouble. If your cake is 9" round your board needs to be 11" that gives you 2" and the same with sheet cakes.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:58am
post #3 of 13

AI use 10" boards for my 9" cakes. Leaves a good 1/2" on all sides for frosting and fondant

BeesKnees578 Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:01am
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad 

I have been buying wilton boards and have no trouble. If your cake is 9" round your board needs to be 11" that gives you 2" and the same with sheet cakes.

I knew I didn't explain thoroughly...I don't mean the base board.  I'm talking about the boards between layers.  Sorry!

BeesKnees578 Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:04am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennicake 

I use 10" boards for my 9" cakes. Leaves a good 1/2" on all sides for frosting and fondant

Do you ice all the way out to the edge?  1/2 inch of frosting plus fondant?  I like to use the edge of the board as a guide for smoothing the buttercream.  Is 1/2" of frosting too much?  I'd worry about it sliding of the cake because of the weight of it.  Or do you just ice as thick as you need it, cover in fondant and put a border to cover the remainder of the board edge?

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:23am
post #6 of 13

A9 inches is always going to be 9 inches; brand doesn't matter.

I understand what you're wanting and the only way to achieve it is to cut your own boards. Some cake recipes will shrink in more than others when they cool.

BeesKnees578 Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:34am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by manddi 

9 inches is always going to be 9 inches; brand doesn't matter.

I understand what you're wanting and the only way to achieve it is to cut your own boards. Some cake recipes will shrink in more than others when they cool.

OK...I am totally LAUGHING MY @#&$ off at myself right now.  Blaming it on exhaustion....

DUH!!!!!!!!  It's probably the reason I have never thought to ask about this before.  I knew the answer all along.  I'm not a dumb person but this WAS a really dumb question.  Obviously it's the cake shrinkage!  But it would be nice if those cake circles came in 1/2 sizes!

Thanks for ending my Mother's Day with a BIG LAUGH!  SMH........rolling my eyes....feeling REALLY REALLY REALLY STUPID right about now!  So, so, tired.  Off to  bed!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:37am
post #8 of 13

I have seen some definite fluctuation between brands, a 1/4" too big or too small, but I still get the cheap ones, lol. I am using the Bake Sense brand right now, and they are all a smudge too small, except for the 6", which are way too small, the same size as the cake!

I know exactly what you mean, though. What I have been doing is applying my icing with a tip, to make sure it is the same thickness all the way around, then trying to scrape it off at an even rate. It hangs over the board all the way around, and doesn't slide off. The bonus is that I don't have an ugly cardboard edge to cover, on my buttercream cakes. The down side is that I will sometimes see that I will have a half inch of icing on one side, and an 1/8" on the other side!! It has gotten much better since I use a tip, though.

Also, I do a lot of odd sizes that do not have a board, so I put an 11" on a 12" board, and then let a couple inches of it hang over the edge of the counter, and will evenly trim with scissors. It is easy, even and works great. But I don't want to do it every time, lol.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 13 May 2013 , 2:55am
post #9 of 13

A

Original message sent by BeesKnees578

Do you ice all the way out to the edge?  1/2 inch of frosting plus fondant?  I like to use the edge of the board as a guide for smoothing the buttercream.  Is 1/2" of frosting too much?  I'd worry about it sliding of the cake because of the weight of it.  Or do you just ice as thick as you need it, cover in fondant and put a border to cover the remainder of the board edge?

Oops sorry for the confusion. I cut all my boards to be 1/4" bigger than I need back when I stockpiled some boards. So they are actually 9.5", not 10". Just went and measured one to double check lol. Leaving me 1/4" on all sides for frosting. Fondant then goes over the edge of the board. I agree 1/2" of frosting might be a bit much!

sue1947 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue1947 Posted 11 May 2014 , 8:17am
post #10 of 13

ASize of boards . I want to put my 11 inch cake on two boards .Do I use 15 then13 or 14 and 13 Please can you help.x

sue1947 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue1947 Posted 11 May 2014 , 8:21am
post #11 of 13

AI have just done an11" cake . Put it on 14"then on a 15" board looks lovely . Xx I am only an amateur. But it does look nice. X

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 11 May 2014 , 10:29am
post #12 of 13

AIf my cake doesn't shrink enough, I'll help it shrink with a knife. Not a lot just a little bit, sometimes just the spots that show through on the frosting.

CakeMonster14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMonster14 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 12:29pm
post #13 of 13

You should get the cake borads and drums from cake boxes europe!

they sell in small quantises which is great for stay at home bakers! also i found that they were the cheapest around!

when i got some drums from them,  i ordered at 3.30pm and got my drums the next morning! which was great and the drums made my mums brithday look even better :D

http://www.cakeboxeseurope.com/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%