Strawberry Filling

Baking By cakebaker1957 Updated 16 Aug 2013 , 2:22pm by lysstylist

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 May 2013 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 15

I have a wedding cake for June and the bride wants a strawberry filling between each layer,

Does anyone have a recipe for this, And if I use fresh berries will it make the cake soggy!!!

Since its going to be sitting for at least 2hours before being served.

Thanks everyone

14 replies
yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 12 May 2013 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 15

This is a wonderful strawberry filling.  It is cooked, but it tastes fresh.  It is also thick enough to be a very stable filling. It does not get soggy. I tried several recipes and once I made this, I looked no further.  2.5 cups is 1 pound of chopped berries.  I cut the strawberries into fairly small pieces, so it is easy to cut and eat.   I have used it in cakes that sat out for several hours on a number of occasions with no problem   I eat the leftovers with a spoon.  It is delicious.

http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-filling-10045

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2013 , 2:16am
post #3 of 15

AThank you so much sounds delish I'm given it a try

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 14 May 2013 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 15

Can you tell me what a hulled strawberry is?

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 14 May 2013 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyb 

Can you tell me what a hulled strawberry is?

It just means to remove the green "hull" or leaf cluster.

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 14 May 2013 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 15

Sounds delicious. I might have to try it

CMontei2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMontei2 Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 15

A

Original message sent by yortma

This is a wonderful strawberry filling.  It is cooked, but it tastes fresh.  It is also thick enough to be a very stable filling. It does not get soggy. I tried several recipes and once I made this, I looked no further.  2.5 cups is 1 pound of chopped berries.  I cut the strawberries into fairly small pieces, so it is easy to cut and eat.   I have used it in cakes that sat out for several hours on a number of occasions with no problem   I eat the leftovers with a spoon.  It is delicious.

[URL=http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-filling-10045]http://www.food.com/recipe/strawberry-filling-10045[/URL]

CMontei2 Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 15

AHow long can you leave your cake out at room temp if it is filled with this. Kind of new to the cake decorating world but getting a lot of request for fruit fillings. If the cake is going to have fondant on it, I'm trying to figure out how to make both happen

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 15 May 2013 , 1:22am
post #9 of 15

I could not find any specific information about shelf life on line, but because it is cooked, has a high sugar content, and has no dairy, I would imagine it would be one of the safer fillings typically used in cakes.  I have used it in cakes that were out for at least 12 hours and it was fine, but don't quote me!

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird 

It just means to remove the green "hull" or leaf cluster.

Thank you!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 15

I'd be very careful with calling this shelf stable.  I'm not sure this qualifies as a high enough sugar content to make it truly safe.  It's water content and pH level that allow or prevent food born illnesses to grow. I think I remember seeing on the boards before that a recipe needs to be at least 50% sugar to be at that level, but I'm not sure.  It doesn't have to have dairy in it to spoil, and there is a lot of water in strawberries.  If you haven't had it tested in a lab, or aren't getting it from a source that has, be very very careful.  Also, just because something isn't shelf stable doesn't mean people will get sick from it every time.  If anyone has a shelf stable recipe that has been tested, please share!

CMontei2 Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 15

AHow about those sleeved fillings you can buy? How long can those last at room temp?

Baking Me Crazy Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 15

Has anyone tried this using frozen strawberries?

Baking Me Crazy Posted 17 May 2013 , 12:44am
post #14 of 15

I just tried this recipe earlier and it was delicious. I liked the consistency. It was thick and not really runny. I didn't have fresh strawberries so I used frozen thawed strawberries and it turned out great. I am stashing this recipe away.

lysstylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lysstylist Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 2:22pm
post #15 of 15

ASave

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%