Hi Ratio And Cake Dummies

Decorating By Annabakescakes Updated 16 May 2013 , 10:04pm by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2013 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hey there! I am sick of making fondant for dummies and too cheap to buy fondant, so I have covered one in hi-ratio (Alpine) and powdered sugar and water. I did it yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon it is still so soft, like I just put it on there! I am starting to worry it will not harden, and my show is in 3 weeks. Does anyone have experience with this?

I have added meringue powder to it in the past, but it turned yellow, and I hate that dummy now! I learned it is the meringue that causes dummies to harden...

PS, it is damp and chilly out, may have something to do with it, right??

3 replies
 leah_s  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 May 2013 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 4

Depends on the ratio of fat to sugar, but it very well may never harden enough to work on a dummy.  I always use Wilton fondant for dummies, using the 40% off coupons at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby.  Get a paper coupon off the web and then get a coupon on your phone.

Annabakescakes Posted 12 May 2013 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 4

I guess I will find out, right? ...... I am using 1:2 shortening to sugar, with just enough water to make it "creamy". I would use Crisco, but it separates and gets all weird when it is whipped.

And the smell of Wilton fondant makes me sick to my stomach. I guess I will get some Satin Ice from Decopac, it is a fairly good price. But I want to show some buttercream techniques because people think you only do fondant if you have all fondant dummies. Sigh.

Annabakescakes Posted 16 May 2013 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 4

Well, it is still soft as can be! I think I am going to put my flower on it, take a picture, then scrape it all off and cover in fondant :-( I may give it another week, I am not in a HUGE hurry, but I have 3 others I need to do anyway, so I can do this one last.

I may just get that bucket of perma ice...Has anyone smoothed that with a paper towel?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%