Cupcakes Sunk In The Middle When Cooling :(

Decorating By tamra81 Updated 12 May 2013 , 6:27pm by tamra81

tamra81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamra81 Posted 12 May 2013 , 3:20am
post #1 of 6

ATried my first completely scratch carrot cupcake recipe today. While they taste EXCELLENT, they turned out a little puny :( It called for all purpose flour but I subbed cake flour. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour and I subbed 1 1/2 cups & 3 Tbs of cake flour. I have a feeling this had something to do with the sinking. I'm thinking my measurements for the substitution was off... Anyone had this issue before?

5 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 12 May 2013 , 3:36am
post #2 of 6

I don't know if it had anything to do with the sinking or not, but why would you substitute flour, especially the first time making it? 

tamra81 Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:17pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb 

I don't know if it had anything to do with the sinking or not, but why would you substitute flour, especially the first time making it? 

I prefer the texture of the cake flour... it gives me a softer and more moist cupcake... no other reason :) I'm going to redo the recipe with the all purpose later on...

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 12 May 2013 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 6

I am not into all the science of baking and all, but I wonder if the softer texture you are trying for isn't compatible with the weight of the carrots and other add ins for carrot cake.

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 12 May 2013 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 6

I had the same problem with a yellow butter cake. I made 2 square layers and 12 cupcakes. My layers turned out beautifully. My cupcakes looked wonderful when I took them out of the oven but sank in the middle when they cooled. My layers didnt sink and it was all from the same batter. This is the second time it has happened to me. I don't know.

tamra81 Posted 12 May 2013 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 6

A

Original message sent by denetteb

I am not into all the science of baking and all, but I wonder if the softer texture you are trying for isn't compatible with the weight of the carrots and other add ins for carrot cake.

I'm thinking that may be the issue too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%