How Do I Use Fresh Raspberries? Cream Cheese Under Fondant? Help Please!

Decorating By lizlaw875 Updated 12 May 2013 , 11:21pm by lizlaw875

lizlaw875 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizlaw875 Posted 12 May 2013 , 12:11am
post #1 of 4

Hello!  I have a customer who has asked for a fresh raspberry filling, do I just fill the cake and put fresh raspberries on top of the frosting filling?  I don't have to cook them, right?

Also, she wants cream cheese frosting, but I have read a lot of "don't do that" in the forums - do you agree?  I am afraid to refrigerate the fondant, I usually use Wilton's fondant.  Even if refrigerated I am worried about the stability, it is going to travel about an hour in June.  

Thank you for any help you can offer!!

3 replies
tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 12 May 2013 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 4

I have filled cake with creme cheese frosting and put fresh berries on top of the frosting of each layer - it's absolutely delicious! But it is quite unstable, and I probably wouldn't use it if was to be transported for an hour.. I have filled cakes with creme cheese frosting though and then used ganache under the fondant instead of frosting to give it some stability. That has worked fine for me, but I've never transported my cakes that far so I'm not quite sure.. hope someone else has a clearer answer for you! 

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 12 May 2013 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 4

This all depends on the situation.  Is your cream cheese frosting perishable?  If yes, you have about four hours total out of the fridge - that includes prep time.  Also, the berries can add to the problem by adding liquid to the whole thing.  Lots of liquid in proximity to some sugar can create pockets of problems for bad things to grow.  Again less than four hours.

If you have shelf stable products that are commercially available, read the product recommendations, but you should be OK. 

But really, there is no worse advertising than food poisoning.  Know your products or err on the side of caution and follow  the four hour rule.

lizlaw875 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizlaw875 Posted 12 May 2013 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the information!  I don't think I will attempt it, too many new variables at once. I appreciate your answers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%