What Should I Charge For This Cake???

Decorating By starstrukd26 Updated 10 May 2013 , 11:37am by DeliciousDesserts

starstrukd26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starstrukd26 Posted 10 May 2013 , 6:09am
post #1 of 5

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice.  I just made this cake tonight for my husband's co-worker for his wife's birthday.  I am somewhat unsure of what exactly to charge as I have never made a cake for anyone outside my family and taken such time and effort.  I made the cake and buttercream from scratch and purchased the fondant ( I just didn't have time to make it).  I purchased the sunflowers and ribbon for the cake as well as the board it lays on.  Any help would be appreciated!!  The bottom rounds are 9" and top approx 5".

4 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 10 May 2013 , 8:11am
post #2 of 5

Minimum 100/= plus what u paid for the flowers. if its a mud cake, u might charge more. lets see what the other have to say. just my 2c worth.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 10 May 2013 , 10:14am
post #3 of 5

AOf course it depends on what you spent, what your overhead is and how long it took you. You can then decide how much of a discount you feel like giving because you know the person.

If you're running a business you should already have an idea of what an appropriate price is. If you're just doing a favor for a friend then you should know what you would be comfortable asking for, assuming you are allowed to charge people where you live as an unlicensed baker.

Pria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pria Posted 10 May 2013 , 10:35am
post #4 of 5

Someone once told me that you take your cost and double.  Then effort if it was intensive work. 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 10 May 2013 , 11:37am
post #5 of 5

AThere are several pricing matrix charts available here on cake central. There is also a wonderful system called "cake boss software." Even if you don't buy the software, the cake boss software site has a wonderful article about how to price.

Because this is new to you, you won't really have a good idea of overhead costs. It's hard to figure how much your license, insurance, etc would cost over the year.

It's also hard to just give you a figure. There are so many factors to consider: area market rate, level of expertise, level of quality, etc.

It's not fair to slap an hourly wage for your time if you, due to skill level, you take longer than the average or are really fast.

In your position, the best thing to do is compare your skill level to a local decorator & see what they charge.

Personally, I charge $4.50 per serving. I charge more for filling, but I don't charge for placing purchased items. I wouldn't go purchase ribbon and such. I would make the client purchase those items. If I did, I would charge the cost plus a bit for my time/gas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%