Cupcake Pricing

Baking By Baking Me Crazy Updated 6 Jun 2013 , 4:45pm by mickensbnbby

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 20 May 2013 , 3:47pm
post #31 of 42

Call some of the Bakery's around you and see what there price is true bakery's not sam's or wally world.

SouthCarolinaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SouthCarolinaMom Posted 23 May 2013 , 6:01pm
post #32 of 42

I charge $20 a dozen, $10 for 6. The work is done out of my home, so I have a lower overhead. The local gourmet cupcake shops in my area are priced between $25-$28 a dozen. Gigi's Cupcakes  has the highest pricing structure.

I agree with the previous poster about calling your  local bakeries  for pricing (NOT Walmart type stores!). 

The things we do to try and please customers!!  icon_smile.gif

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:20pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Yes, probably!   we all know that cupcakes only cost 10cents to make, so 30cents each is three times the cost of ingredients - so you should be raking in the profits on that - actually you probably SHOULD offer a discount for bulk purchase being 62 cupcakes!   :P

.10 cents to make? 

I bake from scratch using quality ingredients.  By the time I factor in the frosting for each cupcake, a wrapper for each cupcake, and packaging, my cupcakes cost me around .90 cents-$1.05 each to produce.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 May 2013 , 9:43pm
post #34 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies 

Quote:

Yes, probably!   we all know that cupcakes only cost 10cents to make, so 30cents each is three times the cost of ingredients - so you should be raking in the profits on that - actually you probably SHOULD offer a discount for bulk purchase being 62 cupcakes!   :P

.10 cents to make? 

I bake from scratch using quality ingredients.  By the time I factor in the frosting for each cupcake, a wrapper for each cupcake, and packaging, my cupcakes cost me around .90 cents-$1.05 each to produce.

I think you missed the sarcasm in Pam's post, and also the post where she mentions she sells her cupcakes for $15 EACH.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 29 May 2013 , 1:23pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:

I'm not writing all this to try and boost my own ego ...... its to try and tell you that it ISN"T  about the price!!   it is about offering something that not everybody else can do or wants to do!......   THAT is what makes you able to charge that little bit extra.

The EXACT same thing my husband said!  Well put!

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 29 May 2013 , 4:47pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I think you missed the sarcasm in Pam's post, and also the post where she mentions she sells her cupcakes for $15 EACH.

Oh yeah, I missed that. 

I wanted to know where these .10 cents ingredients were!  I wanted to be in the know!! lol.

SuperCuteCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuperCuteCookie Posted 29 May 2013 , 4:48pm
post #37 of 42

A

Original message sent by Baking Me Crazy

I love your avatar SuperCuteCookie!

Thank you!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 30 May 2013 , 10:33pm
post #38 of 42

hehe  Annabakescakes - YOU get my sarcasm!!  woop woop!  

I think comparing prices with your local bakeries is the WORST advice ever.

Seriously people - this pricing thing ISN'T really that hard - its not like trying to pick the winning Powerball numbers!

Its is simple maths and working out how much time something takes - YES, you might get it wrong on the first go - but you won't make THAT mistake again!!

I am SOOOOooooooooooo sick of people thinking that they can ONLY charge what people are prepared to pay - think about it - BUT change the product

Do you think the local BMW dealer does the same thing? 

By following the logic of SO MANY cakers - we would all be living in mansions, driving luxury cars and holidaying in Paris....... IF they charged what we were prepared to pay.

It IS OK that NOT EVERYBODY can afford a custom designed cake ...... for EVERY occasion in their life !!

Yes, cake decorating has reached saturation point here in Australia - and I suspect many other parts of the world.

It is now the career choice by anybody that stops work to have children that owns an oven!!   So YES, there are so many that are prepared to run cake charities - where they price cut to the point that they are virtually paying the customer to take their cake.

It HAS damaged the industry - but we can't change that - we CAN elect to let them get what they deserve from this price cutting...... and that is

TIRED !!!!   and   BROKE  !!!!!!! 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 May 2013 , 10:42pm
post #39 of 42
Quote:

hehe  Annabakescakes - YOU get my sarcasm!!  woop woop!  

Seriously people - this pricing thing ISN'T really that hard - its not like trying to pick the winning Powerball numbers!

Its is simple maths and working out how much time something takes - YES, you might get it wrong on the first go - but you won't make THAT mistake again!!

I am SOOOOooooooooooo sick of people thinking that they can ONLY charge what people are prepared to pay - think about it - BUT change the product

Do you think the local BMW dealer does the same thing? 

By following the logic of SO MANY cakers - we would all be living in mansions, driving luxury cars and holidaying in Paris....... IF they charged what we were prepared to pay.

It IS OK that NOT EVERYBODY can afford a custom designed cake ...... for EVERY occasion in their life !!

Yes, cake decorating has reached saturation point here in Australia - and I suspect many other parts of the world.

It is now the career choice by anybody that stops work to have children that owns an oven!!   So YES, there are so many that are prepared to run cake charities - where they price cut to the point that they are virtually paying the customer to take their cake.

It HAS damaged the industry - but we can't change that - we CAN elect to let them get what they deserve from this price cutting...... and that is

TIRED !!!!   and   BROKE  !!!!!!! 

LOVE IT!!!

And you bet your butt I would be living in a mansion if they would lower the price to what I am willing and able to pay, but I haven't been able to find that deal yet ;-) I would also love a house keeper, but haven't found one that is willing to take what I am willing to pay for their services!( Something tells me that they would also be planning to rob me blind, or sell my children to slavers. )

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:21pm
post #40 of 42

A

Original message sent by ApplegumPam

If comparing prices with your competition is the only thing you do to determine your own pricing I agree that it's not a good idea, but a competitive analysis is a useful sanity check once you have your cost-plus pricing done. If all your direct competitors are priced at or below your cost and their products are of equivalent quality, you may need to shift to a different market. Conversely, if their prices are consistently higher than yours for similar products, you may have room to build in more profit.

Tmajor68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tmajor68 Posted 30 May 2013 , 11:34pm
post #41 of 42

ANo, not at all. I was very surprised to find out that Walmart does no baking on the premises. They are using frozen product and the decorating in store. I don't know how Costco does it, but homemade, fresh beats store bought any day. I agree with some of the previous posts, "Could she get the catering to her tastes at Costco?" I think not. Not only is she paying for you ingredients , she is paying for your cupcakes liners, ect. Your electric, gas and most important your creativity and time. So let her walk!

mickensbnbby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickensbnbby Posted 6 Jun 2013 , 4:45pm
post #42 of 42

I worked in a grocery store bakery and their "special" cupcakes (same frozen cupcakes with shipped filling and icings) are sold for 2.50 and people buy them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%